The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2020, 11:12am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Is PTO farming out?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Is PTO farming out?  (Read 3393 times)
examiner
Re: Is PTO farming out?
« Reply #10 on: May 9th, 2007, 1:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I know some coworkers of mine who had applied there. They were gs-13's earning in the mid 90's. They didnt get financially competitive offers and passed. I think beginning examiner's with 1 or 2 years under their belts would probably get paid fairly.

They do sell themselves as a lifestyle company. That very well maybe a good benefit if things are really easy going there. The pto is a stressful place. However, pto  benefits are better. IP Landon offers 10 days of vacation, no sick leave. Not sure about their retirement plan.  Pto offers 16 days vacation, 10 days of sick leave, fed holidays, dollar for dollar matching retirement up to 6% union protection and guaranteed work. You never know with these federal contracts. I've know plenty of cases where the govt can decide to cancel a contract just because.

on Apr 26th, 2007, 11:31pm, formerexaminerdude wrote:
I do know MANY examiners that are moving over to Landon IP.  It's a pretty well-established search firm.  They don't do prosecution.  They are located right across the street from the PTO, and are considered a top search firm in the country.  I  don't know if the examiners I know that moved over there like it more or not, however, I do know that the benefits are actually better than the PTO, and the pay is substantially equivalent.  They are hiring all across the board.  

I know examiners that have moved over to Cardinal as well.   The pay is fair, from the letter you provided.  Where did you find it??  I tried to google it, and couldn't locate the site.  

Yes, so if you do get sick, it appears that you would be pretty much screwed.  

Also, the best thing about the job from what I've heard is that you get to search ALL KINDS of applications, from electrical to business methods to mechanical to medical devices.  That kind of experience is rare.  At the PTO, you get pigeon-holed into learning a narrow subject matter, such as gaskets, or valves, and nothing else.  If you wish to move on to a law firm or corporation, you're minimally versatile in terms of knowledge of "art"

Hope this helps!  Good thing I had a lot of friends at the PTO that jumped ship!  Smiley

IP Logged
Marky Mark
« Reply #11 on: Aug 17th, 2007, 1:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Can anyone tell me what a typical time might be for a searcher to conduct a search? I am not looking for anything other than rough estimate.
IP Logged
Jack_2007

« Reply #12 on: Aug 26th, 2007, 12:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

experience, u tech background vs. patent, number of dependent and independent claims of the patent, and skill of the patent agent/attorney on drafting the patent, you attitude toward the job, and goal in your search collectively decided how long it took to search for a patent. It can range from 1 day to 7 days, so progressively label according to the various factors.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »