The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 11th, 2019, 2:00pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   need to have a Master/PhD to work in patent?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: need to have a Master/PhD to work in patent?  (Read 1446 times)
patent_type

Re: need to have a Master/PhD to work in patent?
« Reply #5 on: Apr 21st, 2007, 9:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Apr 20th, 2007, 9:47pm, 1200firestarter wrote:
hey thanx!
so would u say that the master in EE is pretty irrelevant to working within the patent industry?

Yep.

Quote:
i thought tat firms prefers their ppl come from big name schools and have uber high qualification so they can bill their clients more easily?

Having a degree from a "big name school" will likely result in fewer employment doors being shut than having a degree from other than a "big name school."  Naturally, the valedictorian from Harvard Law will have more employment opportunities than the bottom graduate from Oaxaca School of Law and Underwater Basketweaving, Correspondence (my alma mater).  While it ain't necessary to go to a "big name school," it does help.

Quote:
i mean, what are these firms really looking for within a candidate?

Somebody who will bill 2000+ hours each year doing whatever task is assigned without screwing up so badly that the client gets ticked.  But outside of BIGLAW, one can be less of a fungible billing unit.

If you want to be a lawyer, go to law school.  Just suck it up and do it.  If all you want to do is draft patent applications and respond to the Patent Office the rest of your life, do the patent agent thing.  One very viable option is to be a patent agent by day and law student by night.  A rather common career path in this biz.
IP Logged
1200firestarter_pass
« Reply #6 on: Apr 21st, 2007, 12:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

hey ho thanks!  

i wonder how tough is law school ? (for eg. the top 15)  
relative to LSAT and GRE?  
perhaps ...... 10 times tougher ?  

IP Logged
JAYC
« Reply #7 on: Apr 21st, 2007, 12:36pm »

on Apr 21st, 2007, 12:03pm, 1200firestarter_pass wrote:
hey ho thanks!  

i wonder how tough is law school ? (for eg. the top 15)  
relative to LSAT and GRE?  
perhaps ...... 10 times tougher ?  

Hmmmm....can't really put a number on it.  Law school is definitely tougher than MBA school, and in some respects is tougher than engineering if you don't know what you're doing.  During your first year, expect the unexpected, and be prepared to quickly adapt your studying style and techniques to find what works for you.  Once you find that, then it should become easier.  Good luck.  
IP Logged
firestarterdude
« Reply #8 on: Apr 21st, 2007, 12:56pm »

need more insights............
plsssssssssssss
IP Logged
just to clarify
« Reply #9 on: Apr 21st, 2007, 2:46pm »

Quote:
4) A master in IP is a LLM, and you have to get a JD first, not necessary unless you want to go into academia

I believe some schools (e.g., Franklin Pierce) do offer a masters in IP (aka MIP) that is not an LLM.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »