The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 8th, 2019, 4:11pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   need to have a Master/PhD to work in patent?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: need to have a Master/PhD to work in patent?  (Read 1442 times)
1200firestarter

need to have a Master/PhD to work in patent?
« on: Apr 20th, 2007, 9:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have a gpa of about 3.4 out of 4.0 from a very decent school, 1 year of experience working as an engineer in semiconductor digital design (my work involves little research, mostly development), before graduating i had several internships from companies like motorola. like many of u i'm a little tired of engineering and eyeing on to start a career within the patent sector.
IP Logged
1200firestarter

Re: need to have a Master/PhD to work in patent?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20th, 2007, 9:26pm »

so here are some of the option i'm pondering on,  
 1. get a job as a patent agent (i wonder if not having any MS or phD will decrease my chance of getting into the core of this industry)
 2. go back to do a Master in EE  
 3. go do a J.D (study in USA)  or LLB (study in UK) and just what are my chances of getting into a top law school?  
 4. do a master in intellectual property  

please advise which of these option would help more in the long run?

THANKS.
IP Logged
plex

« Reply #2 on: Apr 20th, 2007, 9:38pm »

1) If you want too
2) It isn't necessary for someone with a BS in EE
3) 25% higher pay than option 1, and scales better, getting into a top school will depend entirely on you destroying the LSAT, if you intend to do this, set aside at least a few months where you will be doing absolutely nothing else except study for the test, it is very very difficult, you would be looking for a score in the mid 160s or higher for a top school. You can do just as well though at a non-top school if you obtain a well above average GPA there, the lower the school, the closer to the top you will have to be. (you are in a little better position though with an EE degree, a firm will go a little bit lower into the class ranks to pick one up than they normally would)
4) A master in IP is a LLM, and you have to get a JD first, not necessary unless you want to go into academia
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2007, 9:41pm by plex » IP Logged
1200firestarter

« Reply #3 on: Apr 20th, 2007, 9:47pm »

hey thanx!
so would u say that the master in EE is pretty irrelevant to working within the patent industry?  
i thought tat firms prefers their ppl come from big name schools and have uber high qualification so they can bill their clients more easily?  
i mean, what are these firms really looking for within a candidate?
IP Logged
plex

« Reply #4 on: Apr 20th, 2007, 11:15pm »

They are looking for experience more than anything else, they don't like training people.

But, they are happy to take people with high ranking/top schools and with the technical degrees they need. You only need a BS if you have an EE degree, a masters is overkill. Pure science degrees usually tend to need to have a PhD to be really competitive though, so you will definitely see some PhDs from other degrees.

They at least want someone who has a high potential to learn quickly if they don't have experience.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »