The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 12th, 2019, 9:29am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   career advice?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: career advice?  (Read 790 times)
ks1969

Email

career advice?
« on: Apr 17th, 2007, 7:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I just passed the patent bar friday the 13th, I have been out of law school for 2 years and work as a solo prac. out of my house.  I also still work full time as a pharmacist to pay the bills.  I have a couple of questions?

I'm not a member of the federal bar, would it worthwhile to become a member?

Also any ideas on how to find work in patent law, I really have no experience in patent law, other than the pto exam and classes in law school.  Should I try a headhunter, try to go to smaller firms, bigger firms.  
Thanks in advance for anyone who responds.
IP Logged
Bill Richards

WWW Email

Re: career advice?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18th, 2007, 6:17pm »

on Apr 17th, 2007, 7:01pm, ks1969 wrote:

No, not at this time, unless you want to do litigation.  Do you mean a member of the Federal Bar Association?  That might be good for networking.  Do you mean be admitted to practice before some district court or the federal circuit, probably not at this stage.
Quote:

Also any ideas on how to find work in patent law, I really have no experience in patent law, other than the pto exam and classes in law school.  Should I try a headhunter, try to go to smaller firms, bigger firms.

Try to find someone that will act as a mentor, probably a solo practitioner who's been in practice for some years.  Also, network like crazy.  Finally, look for overflow work from other practitioners and firms.
IP Logged

William B. Richards, P.E.
The Richards Law Firm
Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights
614/939-1488
patent_type

Re: career advice?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 20th, 2007, 6:30pm »

on Apr 17th, 2007, 7:01pm, ks1969 wrote:

There isn't really a federal bar.  Since you've passed the patent bar, you are a member of the "patent bar," for what that's worth.  You can look up members of the "patent bar" on the PTO website.  All that means, though, is that you've passed the Patent Office registration exam.

Join whatever local patent/IP organization is in your area.  Go to local patent/IP CLE courses.  And, like Bill Richards advises, network, network, network.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »