The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 5th, 2019, 9:55pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   passed bar exam - help with job search
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: passed bar exam - help with job search  (Read 1411 times)
asdfg

passed bar exam - help with job search
« on: Apr 6th, 2007, 3:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I recently passed the Patent bar exam (awaiting registration). I do not have any prior experience in patent field. I have started applying for jobs. I  need some advice on what my chances are and what to look for. I heard law firms conduct some   exams to test writing skills. I have Ph.D in Physics and residing in bay area.
Thanks.
IP Logged
SoCalAttny
Re: passed bar exam - help with job search
« Reply #1 on: Apr 6th, 2007, 4:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

When I was job hunting I got a call from a firm that wanted to interview me. They asked me for a fax number in order to send me a test.  

They sent me a spec and asked that I draft a set of claims and respond to a portion of an office action. They set a time limit for me to return the answer. I got over that hurdle and had a half day interview.  

I did not get the job, but it was an interesting experience.
IP Logged
asdfg

« Reply #2 on: Apr 8th, 2007, 8:18pm »

Do all law firms/Companies follow the same procedure - writing test then interview. what are the questions to expect at the interview.  
Thanks.
IP Logged
SoCalAttny
« Reply #3 on: Apr 8th, 2007, 11:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Some firms test some don't. Most do not. I guess the firm that was looking at me wanted to ensure that basic skills were present prior to a face to face.
IP Logged
asdfg

« Reply #4 on: Apr 9th, 2007, 12:39pm »

I am not able to find many patent agent jobs in the bay area. I have applied to a few, but there is no response. Is it very hard to find an entry level job. I am a little concerned.  Should I contact law firms directly rather than responding to ads.I would appreciate if anybody could give me an idea where to look for jobs.
 I have a Ph.D - materials science, work relates to solid state chemistry and solid state Physics. I have worked in semiconductor industry for about a year.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »