The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 25th, 2020, 6:22pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   How to get that 0-2 year patent experience?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How to get that 0-2 year patent experience?  (Read 1217 times)
Rolando
How to get that 0-2 year patent experience?
« on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 12:50am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm like everyone in this forum preparing to make a transition from engineering to IP Law.  As part of my preparations for this career change, I'm scoping out the job outlooks and current job openings for agents and associates.  What I'm finding is that 99% want at least 2 years experience.  Now, how will I do that once I'm done with Law School and have 11 years of digital design experience?  Some ideas that come to mind is try to find a job as a patent agent and take a salary hit for a few years.  However, these opps don't come up as easy unless there are better sources.  Should I try to pass the Patent Bar as soon as possible to become more marketable for these patent agent positions?  What have others in this forum done in their quest to an IP Law career?
IP Logged
scottp

Re: How to get that 0-2 year patent experience?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 12:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Try to pass the patent bar as soon as possible.  Once you're over this hurdle, try to get overflow work from firms during law school.  With the firm I worked for, there was a period where I had to prove myself before they really started paying me.  

I'll be graduating this year with over a year of experience (although part time) and a working relationship with a firm.
IP Logged
rolando_g

« Reply #2 on: Apr 6th, 2007, 1:14am »

How did you start a working relationship with a firm?  Did you have a colleague as a point of contact or did you arbitrarily start a networking relationship?  On average, does it take 2-3 months to prepare for the patent bar?  Hey, thanks for the earlier info on my question.
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2007, 1:16am by rolando_g » IP Logged
scottp

« Reply #3 on: Apr 6th, 2007, 3:12pm »

No contacts or colleagues; totally arbitrary.  However, I contacted the head of the firm directly instead of going through an HR department.  

Yes, the patent bar takes about 2-3 months of studying.  My advice would be to spend less time on trying to memorize rules and more on doing the tests from previous years.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »