The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 30th, 2020, 7:59pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Re: Advice please: Is this a good opportunity?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Re: Advice please: Is this a good opportunity?  (Read 1011 times)
zingster
« on: Apr 2nd, 2007, 6:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

First, it sounds like you've already got a great job, so I question why you would want to make the move in the first place.

Second, if you are sure you want to go to law school and become a patent attorney, I would accept the position.  You will not find a better option than the one laid out in front of you.  Being a patent agent is different than anything else you have ever done before, and thus you will be hired as an "entry-level" patent agent no matter where you work.

Additionally, staying with your company may have the added benefit of being able to easily return to a management position if you decide that patent law is not a good fit for you.

Finally, if you do not plan on going to law school in the future, I do not suggest leaving your management position to become a patent agent.  It is not a very glamorous position and will not lead you to bigger and better things (unless you get the JD).  It also seems that your salary potential is higher in your current (or a similar) position.  One last thing, being an agent/attorney requires a lot of writing.  If you're not comfortable with that, do not make the switch.  Good luck.
IP Logged
plex

« Reply #1 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 4:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Your written English is quite good actually, so it isn't easy to tell that it isn't your main language.

As Zing posted, you have a great job and position. More importantly, you are enjoying what you are doing. If you feel like the work is taking up too much of your life, a switch to another company, which would be a change of pace, might be in order.

You would be well qualified to go into IP law, I am sure you would have no trouble passing the patent bar and doing well in law school. The only thing to be concerned about would be starting IP law so late. Perhaps you would be able to do consultant work though, it would be something to investigate, I personally can give no advice on that, it could be something very possible, or not.

IP Logged
S._Seaborn

« Reply #2 on: Apr 4th, 2007, 10:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

David,

After a BS, MS, Ph.D., 4 years of postdoc, and several years of industry experience you are willing to go back to school to get a JD? Pardon me for asking, but why on earth would you want to do that, especially with a lot of family obligations? Is an industrial research career that demanding or unstable that you are looking to start over?

I am asking because I am just starting my career having just finished my Ph.D. in Biochemistry. The biotech/pharma industry always seemed like a great career path for Ph.D.'s who do not want to be academics. Plus the money for these Ph.D. research positions is great? I just cannot understand why you would want to give that up.

SS
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »