The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 7th, 2019, 2:00pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Getting into part time law
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Getting into part time law  (Read 1524 times)
want2bepatat

Getting into part time law
« on: Mar 29th, 2007, 9:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

What else is important to get into a top ten part time program other than a good LSAT score and GPA? Will lack of extracurricular activities affect admission decision in a big way at all? Thanks.
IP Logged
Bill Richards

WWW Email

Re: Getting into part time law
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31st, 2007, 4:34am »

I did my law degree parttime at night while working full time.  It was a second career, so my work and life experiences were heavily in my favor.  LSAT and GPA are certainly the main drivers, but, for a part-time program, other things can overcome a less-than-stellar LSAT and GPA.  Certainly, outside activities and the life and work expreriences I just mentioned can help.  If your LSAT and GPA are great, then those other things probably won't matter much.  Most schools allow a "Personal Statement" and that can be helpful in cases like yours.  Another factor is recommendations from others, particularly attorneys who know you well.
Good Luck!
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2007, 4:35am by Bill Richards » IP Logged

William B. Richards, P.E.
The Richards Law Firm
Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights
614/939-1488
want2bepatat

« Reply #2 on: Apr 1st, 2007, 8:27am »

thanks Bill.
IP Logged
biopico

« Reply #3 on: Apr 1st, 2007, 2:34pm »

on Mar 29th, 2007, 9:32pm, want2bepatat wrote:
What else is important to get into a top ten part time program other than a good LSAT score and GPA? Will lack of extracurricular activities affect admission decision in a big way at all? Thanks.

Have you considered geographical factors? For example, DC area (George Washington, George Mason, and Georgetown).

If you are working on technical areas in DC area, your application might be attractive with your profession and letters from your employer (e.g., lawfirms).

I remember one of partners from a big firm was telling me that "I can help you to get into a law school if you join our lawfirm".

IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
want2bepatat

« Reply #4 on: Apr 1st, 2007, 7:41pm »

I live in the dc area and work for a tech firm. I am hoping to get into George washington but its a top 5 college for IP so its bound to be really touch to get in. I think i have adequate (6 yrs + Msc) of technical experience. I haven't done much in terms of extra curricular stuff so I was a bit concerned about that
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »