The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 14th, 2019, 5:11pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Is Patent Law work restricted to big cities?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Is Patent Law work restricted to big cities?  (Read 791 times)
20VT
Is Patent Law work restricted to big cities?
« on: Mar 27th, 2007, 2:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hello. I've been admitted to a top10 law program and I have a BSEE. I'm not sure if I really want to be a patent lawyer or not, but I know that I don't want to live in a big city. Do patent attorneys have any options other than relocating to a big firm in a big city once they graduate? If it is a matter of sucking it up at a big firm in a big city for 2-3 years, I could probably do that, but I don't see where you move from after that. What are the exit strategies from big firms? Can you work from home prosecuting patents? If so, this may be the career for me.

What do patent lawyers typically do once they want to get out of the big firm life and into a more stable and liveable community/life?
IP Logged
stillstudying
Re: Is Patent Law work restricted to big cities?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28th, 2007, 3:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I know one who lives in rural Tennessee, and another who works as a corporate IP counsel in a small TN city.  I doubt either of them moved there straight out of law school, though.
IP Logged
Bill Richards

WWW Email

Re: Is Patent Law work restricted to big cities?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31st, 2007, 4:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

With the power of the Internet, I believe it is possible to be successful working from a small town.  I agree with stillstudying, though, it would be hard to start from scratch.  Working at a law firm in a big city is often a good way to start.
IP Logged

William B. Richards, P.E.
The Richards Law Firm
Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights
614/939-1488
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »