The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 24th, 2019, 6:54pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Career Advice
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Career Advice  (Read 14044 times)
bobloblaw

Re: Career Advice
« Reply #15 on: Aug 2nd, 2007, 5:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Aug 1st, 2007, 10:56pm, kn98 wrote:
Please keep me posted on your situation.
I am still debating on how to go about my future career.
Law interest me a lot, but financially I can't invest that much into law school if I am not going to see any benefits from it.

I hope everything works out well.  I thought a ChemE degree would have done a lot better.  Putting basic chem in the same sentence as ChemE is sad.

Most definitely will.  I don't think going to law school is/was necessarily bad choice... I just wish I was better informed about the risks involved and how you can game law school.  (Didn't strike me until I was halfway through, and by then it was too late.)  It was my fault for not "looking before I leaped" and I have no one to blame but myself.

At any rate, even though I'm not sure how I am going to do it, I will get out of this hole I've dug myself into.
IP Logged
bobloblaw

« Reply #16 on: Aug 2nd, 2007, 9:57pm »

By the way, I am still looking for some good advice if anybody has any...
IP Logged
maskedSONY

Email

« Reply #17 on: Aug 15th, 2007, 9:33pm »

Here's a wild thought for you.  

Since you have a CE degree and a law degree, you might be of some value to a life science consulting firm, or another type of consulting firm that does work with another industry.  

Some of these consulting firms are a total pain to find.  They are not easily found on google, but if you search the New York Times, Washington Post, and the Boston Globe you are bound to come across them.

Another place for you to look is on the Regulatory Affairs Professional Society website (google it)  Some law firms have put up jobs there looking for people with legal backgrounds, but they are more interested in regulatory skills.  Hell, with your IP background, maybe there's a way to make things fit.  

Thats what I could think of.  Good luck.
IP Logged

maskedsony@gmail.com
Kiki
« Reply #18 on: Aug 17th, 2007, 1:17am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi,

I may sound really naive when I say this, but can't you pursue other areas of law? Can't you go into family law or taxation law? Or maybe even start your own practice?

I've always thought that if one can't find a job in any firm, one can simply setup a home office and go from there. Is that not feasible? Your only cost is rent, which you pay anyways, and your malpractice insurance. Sure, it'll be hard to attract business. But thats true for any kind of business. You offer good service and you advertise and slowly you go from there.

Again, do I sound totally naive? What's the catch here?
IP Logged
bobloblaw

« Reply #19 on: Aug 17th, 2007, 7:23pm »

on Aug 17th, 2007, 1:17am, Kiki wrote:

stuff

Not with student loans to repay.  I know of a few classmates who went the solo path, but they were either independently wealthy or deferred their loans.  Everything also really competitive since the market's really saturated with JDs.  

I'm making decent money doing what I'm doing now, but I'd rather be doing something else.  I'm trying to pay off my private loans as quickly as possible so that more options are available to me.

Also, maskedSONY, I never thought about some of the things you recommended.  I'll definitely have to check up on some of the things you posted.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »