The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 23rd, 2019, 5:26am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Career Advice
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Career Advice  (Read 14094 times)
bobloblaw

Career Advice
« on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 6:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My first post on this forum.  There seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people here and I really needed some advice.

I have a bachelors in chemical engineering and a jd from a tier 2 school.  I took and passed the patent agent exam.  While I don't have any relevant work experience, I have taken every single ip course available and then some.  

I graduated right in the middle of my class and was having a hard time finding a permanent position.  I took a contract position at a big law firm doing doc review but after a month I was assigned primarily trademark work.  I am now in a staff position handling trademark work that a paralegal could do.  

I really want to eventually become a patent prosecutor and litigator, but it seems that there aren't many places that are willing to hire someone with no experience or a EE.

Lately I've been thinking about what I should do and have come up with a few courses of action.  I'm still only 27, so time isn't an issue and I've grown accustomed to living in genteel poverty.

1.  Stick it out as a big law staff attorney.  Hopefully they'll throw some patent work my way and I'll be able to gain some experience.  At best I'd be able to maybe move into an associate position (very unlikely) or be blackballed as a staff attorney for the rest of my law career.

2. IP LLM program.  I don't know what sort of program I would be able to get into with my background, but I'd like to be in the DC area.

3. Go back for an electrical engineering bachelor degree.  I've noticed a couple of people on this forum going this route.  It'd probably take me 2-3 years to finish.  

I know that everyone's situation is unique, but I would welcome any advice.
IP Logged
plex

Re: Career Advice
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 6:25pm »

Chemical engineering isn't a totally useless degree, you may not need to get more education, but, I think at your age, you should be targeting opportunities to get that key experience in patent drafting.

You are in a law firm, however, big law firm are notorious for sticking people into mostly litigation or copyright work. You should be able too know from looking at others at the firm whether there is a strong opportunity there for doing prosecution work.

You mentioned you were IN DC? You might really want to pickup a year or two of patent examiner experience, that will, without a doubt open some doors to prosecution work. There are rumors, I haven't been able to confirm this first hand, that some firms are prejudiced against anyone who stays there longer than that. They are hiring and will be until 2011 a lot of PE's. It is supposedly a fairly rigorous amount of work, the first 8 months involve a lot courses they have you take at their academy.
IP Logged
bjr
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 1:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Why not look for a job at another firm?  I wouldn't suggest embarking on another degree - your credentials appear adequate.
IP Logged
biopico

« Reply #3 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 8:51pm »

on Mar 22nd, 2007, 6:10pm, bobloblaw wrote:
My first post on this forum.  There seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people here and I really needed some advice.

1.  Stick it out as a big law staff attorney.  Hopefully they'll throw some patent work my way and I'll be able to gain some experience.  At best I'd be able to maybe move into an associate position (very unlikely) or be blackballed as a staff attorney for the rest of my law career.

I know that everyone's situation is unique, but I would welcome any advice.  

You just began to dig a hole.  Let's continue digging a bigger hole for about a year or so and see how things develop.  Knowing a bit of everything isn't bad thing at all and rather it will help you to become more qualified in your legal profession.  Even if you are doing what paralegal can do.  It would be your training period.

IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
ESL

Attorney with English as a second language
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:01pm »

I  have done my Masters in Computer Science and now planning to become an IP attorney. English is my secod language . However, I have been living here for more than six years and completed my graduate program from US. I would really appreciate if someone can give me any advice for  being an  IP attorney with ESL. Is it really a career which I should not pursue?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »