The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 6th, 2019, 8:33pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Looking for honest advice
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Looking for honest advice  (Read 694 times)
edward
Looking for honest advice
« on: Mar 6th, 2007, 1:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Looking for some honest advice on future outlook with the steps that I've taken.  
I first got a B.S. in biology, went directly to law school at the University of Missori-Columbia, usually ranked 50-60th, were I graduated about middle of my class.  After law school, practiced for two years in non-patent litigation. Currently working on an M.S. in Biotechnology.  I've just had an opportunity come up to work on a thesis with my Master's, but at the same time a non-patent litigation job has been offered to me in the central part of Missouri so no patent work could realistically become part of my practice.
I am licensed in Missouri and with the USPTO.  Given my background, is it realistic that if I finish my M.S. with thesis, that I would be able to break in to the patent legal arena or if not, would it be better advice to go ahead and take a non-patent job and leave patent behind.
I truelly appreciate the advice. In addition, any biotech participants, I would appreciate the thoughts and rumors about the future of this particular area.
IP Logged
biopico

Re: Looking for honest advice
« Reply #1 on: Mar 6th, 2007, 2:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Getting your MS is one thing; practicing patent law is another.

I actually question how much you would be more knowledgeable and critical in understanding patent/legal issues with your MS other than wasting your time trying to finish your MS unless you have one semester left or the thesis.  

I would take the opportunity what is available unless you have two options and you would want to try to work on patent cases with your biology background.

IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
LF

Re: Looking for honest advice
« Reply #2 on: Mar 7th, 2007, 6:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I think Biopico is right on it. The real question is, Why did you stop practicing law before?

If the problem is that you hate reading documents and writing, Patent Law won't be that different from what you did before.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »