The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 8th, 2019, 3:55am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Should I go for IP law? --Fresh bio-postdoc
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Should I go for IP law? --Fresh bio-postdoc  (Read 602 times)
biopostdoc

Should I go for IP law? --Fresh bio-postdoc
« on: Mar 5th, 2007, 1:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello All,

I recently graduated from a 2nd tier university with a Ph.D. focusing on molecular biology/biochemistry. I also have a MS degree in Biomedical Engineering and a BS in Biotechnology. In fact, my previous research has a pretty good coverage of most bases of the current biotech field. However, only six months into my postdoc job in a top 10 medical institute, I found that I can't take the academic path any more. Although the scientific questions are still intriguing to me, I'm tired of bench work, which goes around its own clock, no matter how hard you try to plan ahead.  

My current postdoc term will end in less than 6 months. Previously I was thinking about taking the bar exam while doing the bench work. But I want to focus on one thing and do it right, particularly something that I have no previous experience at all. Now I hope to get started as soon as possible as a scientific advisor and take the exam after I get some hands-on experience. How difficult it will be for someone with my background in the mid-Atlantic area? (I'm willing to relocate to the west coast area too). Which is the best way to find such job openings?

Many thanks!
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2007, 6:28pm by biopostdoc » IP Logged
biopico

Re: Should I go for IP law? --Fresh bio-postdoc
« Reply #1 on: Mar 5th, 2007, 7:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

To bridge your position, it would be wise to look for both postdoc and scientific advisor so that you can still choose if one option doesn't pan out well with your intended time frame.

It is competitive to be a scientific advisor and there are lawfirms looking for PhDs in bio areas.

It would be much more marketable if you pass the exam as the sign of your seriousness pursuing your 2nd career although not necessary to find a position.

Don't get discouraged and keep plugging!

Patent Agent in All Areas of Biotechnology

IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »