The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 11th, 2020, 11:29am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   non-PhD patent agents
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: non-PhD patent agents  (Read 1749 times)
biotech

Re: non-PhD patent agents
« Reply #5 on: Mar 6th, 2007, 10:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Mar 5th, 2007, 8:53am, forest wrote:

I feel the same way.

Since I have PHD friends and I work with them regularly, I naturally didnt mean to insult PHDs. The bell curve is everywhere in nature. I've worked with phd's who are brilliant and those who are non-brilliant. The fact is more and more people in science want IP careers since the pay is king. The fact remains that to many people, a PHD is just a piece of paper they get along the way to their real goal - which is a career in patent law. I have been told by patent practitioners that phd candidates are now having to lie about wanting to go into IP - they should say their ultimate goal is to work in research. I have been told academia HATES losing phds to IP.  
Again, I am sorry that I referred to a phd as a 'piece of paper', as I am sure many of the readers here (in addition to my friends) suffered in order to get it.
IP Logged

regards,
biotech
chemichael

Re: non-PhD patent agents
« Reply #6 on: Mar 6th, 2007, 12:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Biotech,

Apology accepted.  I may have overreacted a bit.  However, I have seen that comments several times (including on this forum) and after awhile it gets a bit frustrating.  My experience has been that a Ph.D. is almost essential to do prosecution work in the biotech field (this includes chemists who work in a practice groups that does alot of biotech work).  I have heard that some practice groups that are more trad. chemistry do not need Ph.Ds.  Just my two cents....
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »