The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 11th, 2020, 4:01pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   should I join ??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: should I join ??  (Read 639 times)
seraphodiabolus

should I join ??
« on: Mar 2nd, 2007, 12:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

the scenario is as follows -  
I have a science background (PhD) and was interviewing with a big firm. The partner seemed to like me and a day or two later he called and offered me a job. Two weeks later, he called again and told me that he is quitting the firm to start his own office (together with two other partners, and a few associates from the firm.) He is obviously touting me with all the perks he can think of. But for me,
(a) I am new to patent, so definitely need to learn the ropes.
(b) I want to go back to school for a JD but with a new
firm, I doubt if I can go to school full-time.
(c) Given it's a new firm, it takes time to build up the reputation, if at all. And it sounds like the new firm aims to become a specialized boutique for prosecution mostly.

Should I join or not ? what should I consider before giving him an answer Huh thanks
IP Logged
Zinger

Re: should I join ??
« Reply #1 on: Mar 4th, 2007, 11:01am »

I would join.  Getting in on the ground floor of a new firm can have its advantages.  I've seen newly minted attorneys become partners within 4 years partially due to being at the right place at the right time.  

I would consider working at the new firm and going to school part time or working at the new firm for 2 years and then going back to school full time.
IP Logged
biopico

Re: should I join ??
« Reply #2 on: Mar 4th, 2007, 12:52pm »

Starting one's own lawfirm is like having his/her independent and new laboratory to pursue his/her own research program.

If you believe you will be treated well getting PhD in a new lab  with competitive scholarship, there is no reason to hesitate joining a new lab.  This is just an analogy.

It is already competitive to find a tech advisor and/or patent agent position in bio area.

So I would join and work for few years.
IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »