The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 8th, 2019, 3:40pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Am I stupid to turn down law school?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Am I stupid to turn down law school?  (Read 2591 times)
Isaac

Re: Am I stupid to turn down law school?
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24th, 2007, 8:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Feb 23rd, 2007, 4:34pm, plex wrote:
The really big firms will work you into the ground, at least if you are referring to the ones in New York or something like them, but those are the ones that require you to work 60-70 hours a week, and wash out well over half their interns/associates. There are also the normal IP firms, which make you only work 50-60 hours a week, and may even let you experience all the aspects of IP law, the pay is less though, usually starting at 70-100k,

IMO someone unwilling to work 50 hours a week is probably going to find paying off 150K in school loans a miserable task.   If working 9/5 is really a priority for you, you are probably going about things the wrong way.

IP Logged

Isaac
plex

« Reply #6 on: Feb 24th, 2007, 11:55pm »

50 hours was the low end of the range, since that is the lowest I have heard an IP lawyer mention, and it isn't unreasonable to ask someone to work 70 or 80 hours when something really important comes up, but to expect someone to work 70-80 or 80+ hours as the base amount, with no reasonable chance of advancement even putting in those hours, is a ridiculous waste of time.
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #7 on: Feb 25th, 2007, 8:58am »

on Feb 24th, 2007, 11:55pm, plex wrote:
50 hours was the low end of the range, since that is the lowest I have heard an IP lawyer mention, and it isn't unreasonable to ask someone to work 70 or 80 hours when something really important comes up, but to expect someone to work 70-80 or 80+ hours as the base amount, with no reasonable chance of advancement even putting in those hours, is a ridiculous waste of time.

I am at a DC firm, but I don't know anyone doing prosecution who routinely works 70+ hours.   Averages of 50-60 are typical.  People who do routinely work large number of hours or for whom large number of hours result from important things coming up are generally compensated for doing so.  

I understand your personal distaste for working 80 hour weeks hours, and I don't have any problem with that.   I wouldn't want to do it.   IMO those large numbers you quote are a mischaracterization of what I see (in DC) and further I wouldn't calll them a waste of time for people who do work them and are compensated accordingly.
IP Logged

Isaac
daven

« Reply #8 on: Feb 25th, 2007, 7:21pm »

Matthew, you say you have a bright future in engineering.  I'll go ahead and post this so you can refer back to it in a few years.. after you've been working in engineering.

You seem to be someone who enjoys new challenges and learning new things.  You might get lucky, but more than likely your job will become boring after a year or two.  You'll miss the challenge of college classes.  I believe you'll fall into a rut in engineering and will regret turning down law school.  Yea, you can always go back to school later but it gets tough to do the older you get.

In my opinion, you really are crazy to turn it down!  Suck it up for a few more years.Smiley
IP Logged
Drew83

« Reply #9 on: Feb 25th, 2007, 8:16pm »

this link may help...

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2007/02/21/law-blog-advice-column-is-patent-law -different/
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »