The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 14th, 2020, 9:08am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   drexel
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: drexel  (Read 877 times)
rph
drexel
« on: Feb 18th, 2007, 1:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

what do you guys think of drexel's new law school?
IP Logged
NewarkNJPatent
Re: drexel
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20th, 2007, 6:18am »

I think it sucks.  It is tough enough to get a job without the ABA approving new law schools.  Why can they be like the AMA which actually protects its members by not flooding the job market with too many doctors.
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #2 on: Feb 20th, 2007, 6:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Feb 20th, 2007, 6:18am, NewarkNJPatent wrote:
I think it sucks.  It is tough enough to get a job without the ABA approving new law schools.  Why can they be like the AMA which actually protects its members by not flooding the job market with too many doctors.  

The feds have been all over the ABA about having exclusionary policies for accrediting law schools.  I don't believe the ABA can be protective in the way you suggest without violating federal law.   It just  isn't that difficult to operate an effective law school on the same scale that it is difficult to operate an effective medical school, and accordingly, reasonable requirements aren't exclusive.

Just my opinion.

IP Logged

Isaac
NewarkNJPatent
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 11:29am »

Well than maybe they (ABA) should implement some alternative policy which would result in the same end.  For example, New Jersey once had an age requirement for State Police Officers (too prevent 19 year old from being cops), that policy was knocked down by the State Supreme Court.  The NJ Police implemented a requirment that all State Police Office have at a minium a Bachlor's degree -so as to age the recruits a bit.
  In the case of Preventing more law schools from openning, they should implement requires such as the school must operate more than 5 years before receiving accrediation from the ABA instead of the current 2 year requirement.  Accordingly, no one would go to the new school and at the same time the ABA could argue that the requirement is in place to make sure that the school is properly capitalized, adequately staffed etc...

All I am saying is that most agree there are too many law school so why not construct some sorta barrier to creating new law schools.
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #4 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 1:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Feb 21st, 2007, 11:29am, NewarkNJPatent wrote:
 Accordingly, no one would go to the new school and at the same time the ABA could argue that the requirement is in place to make sure that the school is properly capitalized, adequately staffed etc...

Each of those things can be established by looking at current documentation and don't require the passage of five years to evaluate.   Further the five years might as well be an eternity for school graduates who cannot practice law upon graduates.   With that kind of hurdle a school could never get started, which I suppose is really what you want.  

I understand your frustration and you certainly aren't alone in your desire that the ABA be more AMA like, but IMO artificial barriers such as the one's you suggest are designed to make lawyers scarce to the detriment of the public.

The primary reason there are lots of new lawyers and lots of new law schools is that prospective students are willing to pay any amount of tuition a law school decides to charge.

IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »