The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 6th, 2019, 9:54pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Starting my own patent agent business
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Starting my own patent agent business  (Read 2551 times)
Annabelle

Starting my own patent agent business
« on: Feb 7th, 2007, 11:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello,

I am considering taking the patent bar exam.  In my small community, employment prospects are very limited;  I would have to open my own patent agent business.  Can (and do) Patent Agents successfully market their services OUTSIDE their communities?  
The cost of living here is not high.  My  revenue requirements (net) are in the range of $5K per month.

Thank you  
IP Logged
biopico

Re: Starting my own patent agent business
« Reply #1 on: Feb 7th, 2007, 1:02pm »

As a registered patent agent, you are entitled to do so.  But you have to ask youself whether it is wise to practice without actual experience and/or being trained.  I am wondering what area of expertise you have.  

on Feb 7th, 2007, 11:20am, Annabelle wrote:
Hello,

I am considering taking the patent bar exam.  In my small community, employment prospects are very limited;  I would have to open my own patent agent business.  Can (and do) Patent Agents successfully market their services OUTSIDE their communities?  
The cost of living here is not high.  My  revenue requirements (net) are in the range of $5K per month.

Thank you  

IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
Anabelle
« Reply #2 on: Feb 9th, 2007, 11:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thank you for the comment.  There are no legal patent agencies in my (small) town, however there are some patent agents under whom I might be able to intern.  

As far as my background:  I have a B.S. in physics, an M.B.A., and considerable experience in materials science and in very exacting technical writing.  

I am not sure if this is sufficient, or if it is critical that I move my family to an area (temporarily) where I would be able to work in a patent firm for a short period of time.  

Any further comments are helpful!  

IP Logged
biopico

« Reply #3 on: Feb 9th, 2007, 1:52pm »

It sounds more than sufficient to sit for the exam and pass.  And you can do some internship to get trained.

Then do you believe you would have enough number of clients so that you can get your salary generated in your small town (e.g., at least 5 clients)?

It is not that you can't do remotely, but realistically is it feasible for you to have any client from your community?

Do you have anyone from any firms who can give you the work for you to do at home?

What if you are residing in the middle of nowhere and it is difficult to find any work for your own salary in your area.  

Depending upon your situation, I would suggest you consider moving to a city where you can be employed with your pending patent agent status.  

on Feb 9th, 2007, 11:47am, Anabelle wrote:
Thank you for the comment.  There are no legal patent agencies in my (small) town, however there are some patent agents under whom I might be able to intern.  

As far as my background:  I have a B.S. in physics, an M.B.A., and considerable experience in materials science and in very exacting technical writing.  

I am not sure if this is sufficient, or if it is critical that I move my family to an area (temporarily) where I would be able to work in a patent firm for a short period of time.  

Any further comments are helpful!  

IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
Ding-a-Ling
« Reply #4 on: Feb 9th, 2007, 3:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Some patent agents, and some attorneys, pick up work remotely from small law firms all over the country. I've seen small firms advertise to get writers to remotely do the bulk of the writing in patent applications. In that model, the small firm actually completes all of the filings with the patent office. Your exposure to malpractice issues is limited by this approach ... an advantage as you get started. In the remote model, your clients may not be the actual patent applicants ... your clients may be established patent practitioners.

The trick may be getting into the flow. If you need that $5k ASAP ... hmm ... you may need to go to the employers location as a first step. The remote model I've suggested is seemingly practiced by people who already have experience. It may take a while to build a network to get enough work ... you might need remote work from several little firms to get the income you're seeking. It's overflow work to them, they'll do the work if they can, but send it to you if they're busy. It's also a budget arrangement for them ... you probably wouldn't be a full time employee. That means no benefits ... you might get paid a flat fee per application written.

I haven't worked by that model but have met some agents who do it. They work from home and control their own hours. I work for a big firm now ... but may want to go remote one day. For now it's just a daydream.

Good Luck!

Ding-a-Ling!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »