The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 7th, 2019, 2:16pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Any end in sight for EE demand?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Any end in sight for EE demand?  (Read 1323 times)
dovn
Any end in sight for EE demand?
« on: Jan 30th, 2007, 10:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Everybody,

I have a BS in EE and CS and a MS in EE.  I have worked in the semiconductor industry for 7years mostly doing work in RF, analog and mixed-signal circuit development.  I have been tinkering with the idea of law school for a long time and I am finally taking the plunge this fall.  It makes me excited to see the demand for EEs right now but I am curious if anyone has any guess on when this demand might subside.  Is demand tapering off at all?  Is demand suppose to go to zero in exactly three years?  Is it strong and stable?  Is it growing and going to continue to grow for the foreseeable future?

Anyone's and everyone's opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks
IP Logged
want2bepatat

Re: Any end in sight for EE demand?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 1st, 2007, 5:17am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm sort of in your shoes as well except that I am still debating on whether to take the plunge or not. If you don't mind me asking, are you continuing to work as a EE and doing the law degree part time (which in my opinion is going to be really difficult) or are you doing your degree full time?  

And my opinion is that even though you don't see as many jobs on the job websites, the demand will increase since tech is experiencing an upsurge and companies would look to protect their patents. I guess the only question though is whether its actually worth it!
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #2 on: Feb 1st, 2007, 5:59am »

Lots of people who went to law school in the late 90s when EE and CS were really hot found a decidely cooler job market at the point of graduation.
IP Logged

Isaac
want2bepatat

« Reply #3 on: Feb 1st, 2007, 7:06am »

The only reason IP law demand would decrease is if the patent preparation work was outsourced. Some tech research has already been moved offshore and i'm thinking that its entirely possible that law firms in India or elsewhere can prepare patent applications. Litigation and prosecution is a different story though and some attorneys would be needed in the US for that.

Is the above scenario even possible?

IP Logged
dovn
« Reply #4 on: Feb 1st, 2007, 9:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Issac,

Was the market decidedly cooler because of the dotcom bust?  I was looking for a plain old EE  job back then and had a hard time finding those as well.  So I can understand if attorneys with EE and/or CS experience weren't in the biggest demand as well.

Hi want2bepatat,

I am not sure which websites you are looking at, but for me, job searches on this board, other jobs sites and specific firm sites all reveal many many opening for people with specifically EE backgrounds and to a lesser extent CS background.

If you are looking to law school simply to avoid the outsource trend then you probably shouldn't go.  There are a ton of EE jobs out there that will never be outsourced.   If you just want to draft and prosecute patents then I would suggest just becoming a patent agent.  The advice that I have received from other is not to go to law school unless you are deep down interested in the law and sure you want to be a lawyer.  Not sure if you want to be a lawyer?....go talk to a couple of IP/patent attorneys.  I also learned a lot while studying for the patent bar and really enjoyed it all.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »