The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 2nd, 2020, 9:32am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   IP Career Questions, Finishing Law School Now
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: IP Career Questions, Finishing Law School Now  (Read 880 times)
discostew66

IP Career Questions, Finishing Law School Now
« on: Jan 30th, 2007, 3:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello everybody, I am looking for any advice that you may deem appropriate for my situation.

Background:  I'm currently a 3L at a T1 school (ranked between 25-35, depending upon the year), with an undergrad in Mgmt. Info. Sys. from a quite large, fairly well-regarded public university.  I also have a few years of professional software development experience.  After my 1L year of law school, I studied I.P. abroad through a T1 school.  I've also taken every IP-related course available at my law school.  After my 2L year (largely due to my non-eligibility to sit for the PTO exam) I ended up doing some non-I.P.-related litigation work just for some type of experience in a geographic region (and practice area) that I have no interest in.

GOAL - I would love to go to the San Francisco Bay Area and work somewhere (anywhere!) in the IP field (i.e. litigation, prosecution, licensing, etc...).

However, I'm not currently patent bar eligible, and the quickest route for me now to do so would be to take about a year more of Comp.Sci. coursework.  Additionally, I'm being ignored for IP Lit. positions because I'm not from Stanford or Berkeley or Hastings and because I'm not in the top 10% of my class (I'm around top 40%).  Same goes for licensing or trademark positions.

Any ideas on a plan of action?  As of right now, my plan is to take the California Bar Exam this summer, enroll in more C.S. classes in the Bay Area somewhere to become patent bar eligible, and attempt to network (or better yet to land a clerk or intern position) during this time spent taking more courses.  I hope this would lead to an IP Lit or Prosecution position.

Any better ideas?  Getting a EE or CE degree would take a long time, and I have significant debt.  Pursuing a LLM may be equally as fruitless.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have.
IP Logged
discostew66

Re: IP Career Questions, Finishing Law School Now
« Reply #1 on: Feb 1st, 2007, 9:41am »

Bueller?

I suppose I should have had a ****ier subject line.
IP Logged
forest

Re: IP Career Questions, Finishing Law School Now
« Reply #2 on: Feb 1st, 2007, 9:51am »

Any ideas on a plan of action?  As of right now, my plan is to take the California Bar Exam this summer, enroll in more C.S. classes in the Bay Area somewhere to become patent bar eligible, and attempt to network (or better yet to land a clerk or intern position) during this time spent taking more courses.  I hope this would lead to an IP Lit or Prosecution position.

Sounds like you know what you need to do, and this seems like the best route, IMO. I'd think once you start networking, and let firms know your intentions to sit for the exam, they'd be willing to take you on.  

Good luck.
IP Logged

"Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it." ~Albert Einstein
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »