The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 8th, 2019, 4:10am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Billing Rates
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Billing Rates  (Read 3595 times)
Isaac

Re: Billing Rates
« Reply #5 on: Feb 1st, 2007, 6:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jan 31st, 2007, 9:16pm, smgsmc wrote:
Each spends 50 billable hours on an application.  What does the customer get billed?  Does the customer pay  

A typical arrangement is for firms to have billing rates for attorneys and agents roughly proportional to their level of pay and to bill the client using the billing rate of the person doing the work.   Sometimes clients who do lots of business can negotiate lower rates.

It's probably not a realisting hypothetical to assume that a new practitioner with a lower billing rate would end up cheaper than an experienced attorney or agent with a higher hourly billing rate because the more experienced attorney should work faster.  Also firms are aware of inequities and sometimes don't allow charge offs for the full time spent.

Alternate arrangements are possible including flat rates and flat hourly rates.  
IP Logged

Isaac
jrnifong

« Reply #6 on: Feb 2nd, 2007, 9:07am »

Typical rates are to take the converted hourly wage of the atty/agent and multiply by 2.5 for client's rate
IP Logged
smgsmc

« Reply #7 on: Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:42pm »

on Feb 1st, 2007, 6:07am, Isaac wrote:

It's probably not a realisting hypothetical to assume that a new practitioner with a lower billing rate would end up cheaper than an experienced attorney or agent with a higher hourly billing rate because the more experienced attorney should work faster.  Also firms are aware of inequities and sometimes don't allow charge offs for the full time spent.

Alternate arrangements are possible including flat rates and flat hourly rates.  

Thanks, Isaac.  I'm not addressing the instance of an inexperienced agent vs an experienced attorney.  I'm addressing the instance in which an agent and attorney have, for example, 5+ yr experience each.  At which time, the agent should be cruising along at the same clip (or faster) as the attorney.  I'm talking strictly patent prosecution, no activity which would require legal expertise, and hence justify the higher rate of an attorney's services.  My understanding is that, under these circumstances, an agent's billable rate would still be lower than an attorney's.  Is that correct?  I'm also not talking about the other extreme, an agent with 10 yr experience vs an attorney with 1 yr experience; but some middle ground . So, if the firm bills at the rate of the person who is doing the job (not flat fee or flat hourly rate, for example), the client  would then pay less for an agent to do the work?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »