The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2020, 10:18am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Patent Agent Experience
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Patent Agent Experience  (Read 1554 times)
braxdavis1

Email

Patent Agent Experience
« on: Jan 7th, 2007, 10:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,

I'm new to the boards and I've been sitting here looking through posts to try and find an answer to my question but everyones' situation is different.  My background is a BS in Applied Physics and in EE.  I am currently working on a management leadership prgm, and will take the patent bar in the near future.  I have been looking for Patent Agent jobs, but most of them require at least 1yr of some type of patent experience.  Ideally I would like to work as a patent agent and acquire my law degree simultaneously if possible, but how do I at least get that patent experience to get my foot in the door?  I did see this one patent agent training prgm through a law firm, but it was only for those with Phd's.  Do they even have these types of prgms available for those with undergrad. degrees, and if so how can I get more info on them?
IP Logged
Bill Richards

WWW Email

Re: Patent Agent Experience
« Reply #1 on: Jan 8th, 2007, 4:03am »

As you know, your's is a common lament, even though everyone's particular situation is somewhat different.  That is, how can I find a job without experience when everyone wants experience?
As one of the gray hairs on this Forum, I think I may have some decent advice.  Fortunately, the solution is "simple".  Unfortunately, the solution is "not easy".  The simple solution is perseverance.  The "not easy" part is that it takes a great deal of effort.  What I mean is, it's applying to every relevant job posting you see, writing to every employer who employs patent agents or patent attorneys, and networking like crazy.
When I passed the state and patent bars, I was 55 years old with no employment prospects.  But, I treated my job search like a job.  I set up a home office just for the very purpose of finding employment.  I researched Martindale-Hubbell (Did you know they have special sections that list IP firms?), talked to attorneys in the field (took them to lunch, if possible, even if just to pick their brains), talked with law school professors, and attended local IP bar groups.  (I could go on, but you get the idea.)  I sent letters and resumes to everyone I could.  I followed up on every lead.  Eventually, I had two very nice job offers, both at very good firms.  Since then, I have worked in the IP department of a large, general-purpose law firm and as in-house counsel for a large research and development lab.  I am current a solo with a busy practice.
Bottom line:  Lots and lots of hard work and the ability to put yourself forward and risk (and accept) rejection.  Sorry, no easy solutions.
IP Logged

William B. Richards, P.E.
The Richards Law Firm
Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights
614/939-1488
Wiscagent

« Reply #2 on: Jan 8th, 2007, 7:59am »

I’ll second what Mr. Richards wrote, and also add another angle.

One rarely discussed way of getting into the  patent field is by working as a scientist or engineer.  Try to get an R&D job in a company that aggressively protects its intellectual property and has in-house patent counsel.  If you can get that job, then you may be able to get an assignment as a patent facilitator, or help with litigation or oppositions.  It also wouldn’t hurt if you were an inventor on several patents.  In other words, getting a job with such a business may offer a back-door way to get into the patent field.
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2007, 8:00am by Wiscagent » IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
insight07

« Reply #3 on: Feb 19th, 2007, 3:11pm »

Hi,
Did see your message. I am a Ph.D. & am thinking of taking the patent bar exam. You have mentioned a law firm that gives training for patent agents. Would really appreciate if you could let me know about this / any other law firm that gives training as patent agents.  

Thanks
insight07
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »