The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 30th, 2020, 11:28am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Is being a patent agent intellectually rewarding ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Is being a patent agent intellectually rewarding ?  (Read 2692 times)
mciotola

Re: Is being a patent agent intellectually rewardi
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10th, 2007, 11:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

One advantage of legal work in intellectual property is that you often get to deal with a wider range of subject matter than the typical researcher.  Conversely, researchers are tend to be much, much more specialized.
IP Logged
Patent-Scientist
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11th, 2007, 10:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm a patent agent and I try to satisfy my interest in on-going lab tinkering by keeping a shop where I intermittently work on creations. I caution you, dissatisfaction can run deeper than missing bench work. If you want to exercise judgement in real matters, you might should reconsider becoming a patent agent without plans of going to law school. Are you ready to play lackey to attorneys, less educated than yourself, for the rest of your career? I've made my bed and now I lie in it. But I recommend against this course. I busy my mind in all sorts of pursuits away from my office so as to have the serenity to stand back and watch others dominate all decisions in my own work. The money is good so I just do my job. Ho-hum. My hobbies make my world go 'round. My job just pays for the hobbies. Got hobbies? Ready to distance yourself from taking pride in your work? ... yes and yes? ... jump on in friend, the water's tepid.
IP Logged
rdddx
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19th, 2007, 7:58pm »

I have PhD from Ivy school.  I am a patent agent in a large slave firm.  I am treated like a second grade citizen here by a bunch of attorney masters (partners).

In US, patent agent is a dead-end job and no one respects patent agents.  

If you don't want to go to law school but want a career track in patent law, you should go to Europe!  Even without a law degree, you can become European patent attorney, have a career in patent prosecution law, and have self-dignity!
IP Logged
Zinger

« Reply #8 on: Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jan 19th, 2007, 7:58pm, rdddx wrote:
I have PhD from Ivy school.  I am a patent agent in a large slave firm.  I am treated like a second grade citizen here by a bunch of attorney masters (partners).

In US, patent agent is a dead-end job and no one respects patent agents.  

If you don't want to go to law school but want a career track in patent law, you should go to Europe!  Even without a law degree, you can become European patent attorney, have a career in patent prosecution law, and have self-dignity!  

Why do you continue to work for a large slave firm?  Patent agents and tech advisors are not treated like second class citizens at the boutiques I've had experience with.
IP Logged
Patent-Scientist
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23rd, 2007, 2:43pm »

I somewhat support Zinger's comment. I got started at a boutique and, in a sense, had the best overall potential in patent prosecution when that experience is compared to several other firms where I have worked. At the boutique, I felt the line between associates and agents was blurred with regard to work flow, secretarial help, and respect. While I am glowing about that firm, I may should point out that I was ultimately fired amidst all sorts of politics as the practice group with which I worked spun essentially out of existence and the attorneys scattered across other firms. I didn't feel that patent agents were treated any rougher than associates ... we all got fired! I now have the overall impression that boutique IP firms represent different cultures than general practice firms. I work now at a general practice firm where, outside of the patent group, my presence is misunderstood and is not always respected. It is unpleasant to have associates from other parts of the firm express condescending assumptions when they have no understanding of my profession. They only know that I am not a lawyer ... and must therefore be "staff" ... and am therefore ... not to be respected. That I have an office, indeed an office with a window and a nameplate on the wall along the hallway, baffles them. Perhaps I'll put a sling shot in my desk drawer for the next one that stops in my doorway and says "you have an office?" They don't mean any harm, they're just ignorant and have poor manners ... but it gets old.

In an IP boutique, the associates are at least more likely to be educated with regard to patent agents.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »