The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 30th, 2020, 12:21pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Individual State Bar Licenses
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Individual State Bar Licenses  (Read 604 times)
NewarkNJPatent
Individual State Bar Licenses
« on: Dec 30th, 2006, 8:23am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I just started a new job search and was wondering if anyone knew what the deal is with individual state licensing to practice patent law.  I want to practice in either DC, NJ, NY, or Texas.   Do you think any employers would look at my resume if I am not licensed in the individual states?

I am USPTO reg'ed and only licensed in NJ (I am licensed in the SDNY and EDNY) and awaiting admission to DC, along with being a recent grad from a top law school and a masters in EE.  I have 1 year and a half experience as a Patent attorney and 2 years general litigation and 1 years as a state judical law clerk.

I plan on waiving into NY and Texas after I get into DC.  NJ does not have resipocity with either NY or Texas but will allow you to waive in once you get into DC.  

washoping someone could help me figure out
IP Logged
mike blake
Re: Individual State Bar Licenses
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20th, 2007, 1:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

If you are preparing and prosecuting patents, you can do that in any state with the PTO registration.  Once you get out of that arena, you may be commiting unauthorized practice of law.  I think most employers will hire you without a local state bar, with the understanding that you will eventually take the local bar.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »