The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 12:17am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   LAssistants/paraleg-telecommute-what do you think?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: LAssistants/paraleg-telecommute-what do you think?  (Read 623 times)
ZZ
LAssistants/paraleg-telecommute-what do you think?
« on: Dec 6th, 2006, 4:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Please let me know what you (as attorney's and patent agents) consider the pros and cons of a legal assistant position becoming a 70-200% telecommuting position in the future.  Is it feasible?

I am a legal assistant who thinks telecommuting could be feasible for certain highly skilled type of assistants due to EFS Web.  I am a very self sufficient assistant who prepares all filings going to the PTO, except for substantive matters (even for R116/111 Amends I still proofread my attorney's work thoroughly and correct mistakes).

I also think it could be beneficial for the law firm because they could pay flat rates per project, rather than per hour (and risk losing money to lazy unmotivated assistants), they would not have to bother with benefits and a basic secretary with minimal typing skills could be hired to take care of anything "in house" such as specific client letters.  Letters associated with any filing can be generated by the para who files with the PTO.

I know there are cons, but it is almost 6am, and as I am preparing for work and saying goodbye to my 6 month old son, I am hopeful there is some kind of solution that can keep me at home while still earning a fairly respectable living.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »