The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 30th, 2020, 11:29am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Any Canadian Patent Examiners out there?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Any Canadian Patent Examiners out there?  (Read 20083 times)
LJP

Re: Any Canadian Patent Examiners out there?
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23rd, 2007, 7:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jan 22nd, 2007, 4:29pm, S._Seaborn wrote:
Ph.D. scientists at CIPO start off at the SG-PAT2 or 3 levels. I don't think having done a postdoc will significantly boost your starting salary as an examiner.

The salary structure can be found here:
http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/coll_agre/ase6_e.asp#_toc535885 2

Good luck!

The link is a little old. The last contract has been settled and raises of 2.4% (Oct. 2005) and 2.5% (Oct. 2006) should be factored in to both base (and terminable allowance). The terminable allowance is not shown on the above link.  

see http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/coll_agre/ase7_e.asp#_Toc535588 65   for terminable allowance

As for starting salaries with a PhD and PostDoc. $58,515 + $8,421+ 2.4% + 2.5%
or $70,026

Starting salaries for PhD without postdoc is about $2300 less (one column to the left).  

The salary at the end of the training period (2 years) would be ~$80,000 plus contract increases which tend to be around 2.5%/year. (around $84,000)

Raises of ~$4,000/year until last column of pay scale is reached (2 increments, pay scale(horizontal increment on pay scale) and contract ~2.5%)

salary in 5-6 years ~$100,000.

« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2007, 7:06am by LJP » IP Logged
pat can
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26th, 2007, 9:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thanks so much for the info guys.  That was quite a breakdown LPJ!!
IP Logged
expression

« Reply #17 on: Jan 29th, 2007, 4:08pm »

Hi everyone, I am new. Seeking some advice here:

1. I'm a Canadian graduating with a Biochem & Molecular Biology PhD in May. I guess CIPO won't be interested in me until I actually defended (I applied in Dec)? Should I just wait and reapply then?

2. Does CIPO have a hotelling system like USPTO? Will I have the prospects of eventually working long distance?

3. The CIPO listed hiring goals that included Biochem/Molec Bio PhDs, but I got the feeling that biotech is old news in the IP market (I'm doing cancer research on patient samples)? How likely is CIPO going to hire a fresh PhD from a major Canadian U, with 1 or 2 decent papers and no patent experience?

Basically I'm concerned with my competitive power. I'm not ambitious: just want a little more stability and a reasonable pay compared to the miserable post-doc/associate.

Any comments/suggestions appreciated.
IP Logged
LJP

« Reply #18 on: Jan 30th, 2007, 6:27am »

on Jan 29th, 2007, 4:08pm, expression wrote:
Hi everyone, I am new. Seeking some advice here:

1. I'm a Canadian graduating with a Biochem & Molecular Biology PhD in May. I guess CIPO won't be interested in me until I actually defended (I applied in Dec)? Should I just wait and reapply then?

2. Does CIPO have a hotelling system like USPTO? Will I have the prospects of eventually working long distance?

3. The CIPO listed hiring goals that included Biochem/Molec Bio PhDs, but I got the feeling that biotech is old news in the IP market (I'm doing cancer research on patient samples)? How likely is CIPO going to hire a fresh PhD from a major Canadian U, with 1 or 2 decent papers and no patent experience?

Basically I'm concerned with my competitive power. I'm not ambitious: just want a little more stability and a reasonable pay compared to the miserable post-doc/associate.

Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

1. It depends. The requirement for Biochemistry is a MSc. If you went directly to PhD from BSc then There is a good chance you will not make it past the initial screen. If you have an MSc then you will be considered.

2. You will not be able to work long distance. You will need to spend at least 2 days/week in the office (and then only after 3 years).  

3. "How likely is CIPO going to hire a fresh PhD from a major Canadian U, with 1 or 2 decent papers and no patent experience?"    
   They hired me and that pretty much sums up my qualifications when applying, except I have org. chem. PhD. In fact I hadn't submitted by thesis before I started working here.  

4. "I'm not ambitious"
    I wouldn't mention this at the interview.  lol.
  Most of the people here are here because of the work life balance. The moneys good, not great, but I am at home every night by 4:00 and the work stays at work.

ps. If your BSc is in chemistry you can apply to chem section as well.
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2007, 6:28am by LJP » IP Logged
expression

« Reply #19 on: Jan 30th, 2007, 3:57pm »

Thanks LJP, that was very helpful. I went straight for PhD so I'll probably reapply later.

on Jan 30th, 2007, 6:27am, LJP wrote:

4. "I'm not ambitious"
    I wouldn't mention this at the interview.  lol.
  Most of the people here are here because of the work life balance. The moneys good, not great, but I am at home every night by 4:00 and the work stays at work.

LOL. But seriously that's the main appeal for me. A patent attorney or scientist in industry will earn much more money but as usual there's a catch.

In any case I just talked to a number of Canadian patent attorneys/agents who came to give an ip seminar and all of them said competition is FIERCE (at IP firms) at present. One said that he's getting applications from PhDs every week. The overflow from the research sector is probably saturating the IP field already. The best way to break into the field is likely CIPO.

More questions:  
1. How do you find living in Ottawa? Safe and pleasant? I presume it is nicer than the notorious Washington DC? Is housing affordable?

2. Since there's not much career advancement, what's the typical upper cap salary for an examiner (the salary link is not working)?

3. Are there educational benefits/aids/programs for examiners who want to do night-time law school?

4. Are all departments of CIPO located in Ottawa? Any branches in other provinces?

Thanks!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »