The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 31st, 2023, 10:44pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   New to Patent Agent, need advice!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New to Patent Agent, need advice!!  (Read 1370 times)
JamesW
New to Patent Agent, need advice!!
« on: Nov 28th, 2006, 7:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi guys, I have just graduated with a MSEE degree from University of Florida. As I was searching for my first job, I got a call from an IP firm in Huston saying that they would pay 50k/yr to be a patent agent. I was curious about this job and made an appointment with them for an interview. As I was searching for more information about IP career, can anyone here give me some advices? I know that with MSEE I can get paid 63k/yr for starting salary, 50k/yr is kindda low to me. I read a few post here but still not sure with a MSEE degree, what is the right starting salary to be a patent agent? Thanks a lot.
IP Logged
Your Bro'
Re: New to Patent Agent, need advice!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29th, 2006, 10:24am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Yeah, 50k/yr seems low for a registered patent agent. Are you registered? Writing experience may also be a factor. Unless I misunderstand, you don't have patent application writing experience. It's natural to want a high salary, but we all have to start somewhere. On the upside, (I'm assuming you meant "Houston") Houston was a growing IP town the last time I looked into that area. So ... if you get some experience in Houston, and you're underpaid ... you may can make an employment/salary adjustment before too long without having to leave Houston.

You may can get more than that 50k/yr as a patent examiner ... so if you're mobile now ... think about that option. Look into working for the patent office. One day, looking back on your resume, the patent examiner disctinction may mean more than a first position at some little unknown firm with low salaries. I'm not characterizing the firm you mention as such ... it's up to you to form your own characterizations.

In any event, the one time I was contacted from Houston, a firm wanted me to fly out to see them on my own dime. I politely told them I would think about that, got off the phone, and laughed myself silly. A budget concious culture may be evolving in the Houston IP scene. That may actually be a good thing for a patent agent in Houston. Experienced patent agents typically work for less pay than patent attorneys, so job security may be found for patent agents in a budget concious culture.

Good Luck

Your Bro' the Patent Agent
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »