The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 1st, 2020, 1:30am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Hourly rate for a Patent Agent?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hourly rate for a Patent Agent?  (Read 9584 times)
biopico

Re: Hourly rate for a Patent Agent?
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 11:29am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It seems it is common for junor associates in the lawfirm to charge $200-250/hr but their salary is around $100K-$200K.
IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
Bradley Mayhew

« Reply #6 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 1:38pm »

Firms typically expect an attorney/agent to generate about 3-times, and sometimes as much as 4-times, more revenue than the attorney/agent receives in salary.  

Of course, there are many exceptional situations.

IP Logged

Bradley Mayhew
Patent Agent

Search the MPEP
Wiscagent

« Reply #7 on: Nov 13th, 2006, 4:39pm »

"Firms typically expect an attorney/agent to generate about 3-times, and sometimes as much as 4-times, more revenue than the attorney/agent receives in salary. "

True.  And a disincentive for the attorney/agent to bring in business on their own.
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
IP4me

« Reply #8 on: Sep 6th, 2007, 8:29pm »

Generally, one third of the fees go to the agent's salary, another third to pay for overhead associated with the agent (office, printing, etc.) and one third to firm profit.

So generally if the agent brings in $300K in fees, he is paid about $100K, ignoring a lot of other factors.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2007, 8:30pm by IP4me » IP Logged

J. Watts
Patent Agent
Patent Professionals LLC
Affordable Patent Agents and Attorneys
patentsusa

« Reply #9 on: Sep 6th, 2007, 9:09pm »

While the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 is the typical model for law firms, many boutique patent firms will pay 40% or 50% of billables.

A big disadvantage of being an agent in a law firm (I started out as one), is that a lot of the firms assume that overhead is the same for everyone.  They will probably allocate a low billing rate to you.  So if you bill $150,000 for the year and they pay you $50,000, they might allocate an overhead of $150,000 to you and conclude they are losing money on you.  I haven't seen anyone who was capable of accurately assessing how much overhead each individual professional consumed.  It might not be possible unless each non-professional staff member keeps track of their time.

But the bigger disadvantage is that you can't become partner, which is where the big money is.  That is what caused me to go to law school.  In Canada, there are firms of patent agents, or at least there used to be.   This was done so that agents could be partners.  Patent agents can be partners with other patent agents, both there and here.  

Some firms recognize the value of experienced agents and will compensate them not as partners but very well.  Others do not.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2007, 9:12pm by patentsusa » IP Logged

Deepak Malhotra, JD, BSEE
Registered Patent Attorney
Malhotra Law Firm
www.patentsusa.com
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »