The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 27th, 2023, 11:42pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Interested in exploring a career as a Patent Agent
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Interested in exploring a career as a Patent Agent  (Read 1252 times)
Reuven Kishon
Interested in exploring a career as a Patent Agent
« on: Nov 6th, 2006, 12:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hey there,

I stumbled upon this message board while searching google for any information regarding patent agents.

Here is my situation. I am an electrical engineer with a BS in Electrical Engineering and 3 years of experience. Recently I was informed that having that degree and experience would help if I wanted to be a patent agent. Of course, first I have to pass the patent bar.

My question is as follows. How hard would it be for me to find work as a patent agent with no previous IP experience as well as the background previously mentioned?

I don't want to bother putting much effort into this venture if I find out that it's not feasible at this moment in time.  

Thanks in advance for reading,

Reuven
IP Logged
Reuven Kishon
Re: Interested in exploring a career as a Patent A
« Reply #1 on: Nov 7th, 2006, 9:35am »

I never intended to respond to my message, but I just wanted to mention that I did in fact read that message that was very similar to mine. It's the one about the retired engineer with loads of experience in the engineering realm.

I do realize that it helps to have some sort of experience with technical writing and the ip world, however we all need to start somewhere. I do know of one patent attorney, so he may be able to help if I were to go in this direction. But that's about all I have going for me. I just kinda wanted to get some feedback from patent agents who read this board.  

IP Logged
patag2001

« Reply #2 on: Nov 7th, 2006, 12:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The first question you need to ask yourself is why out of every four practitioners there is one patent agent and three patent attorneys.  This ratio is somewhat perplexing considering it is more difficult to become a patent attorney.

The answer is that patent agents generally do not make more money than engineers.  This is especially true for engineers who are experienced in hot technical areas.  For example, hot technical areas can include DSP, semiconductor device work and the like.  Further, the type of engineer who would generally go to law school anticipates work centered around paper and taking great pains to arrange the words on the paper.  Many engineers do not like spending hours on a computer word arranging.

The best place for a patent agent is working for a technical company.  Here, the patent agent can often morph between engineer and patent agent.  Further, a patent agent in such an environment can generally run circles around any outside practitioner, because of a strong understanding of the technology.

I am an electrical engineer, who became a patent agent after more than 25 years working as an engineer.  I work as an engineer and moon light helping attorneys with writing applications.

I hope this one opinion helps!

IP Logged
Reuven Kishon
« Reply #3 on: Nov 7th, 2006, 12:43pm »

The fact that patent agents don't make more money then engineers is fine by me. It's not the money so much as the job. I find myself not being as into the hands on aspect of an engineer so much as being exposed to new technologies. This is the underlying reason as to why I am considering becoming a patent agent.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »