The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 1st, 2023, 12:22am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   too late?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: too late?  (Read 2939 times)
smgsmc

Re: too late?
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10th, 2006, 12:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

We now have separate posts asking whether it's too late when you are 30's, 40's, 50's.  I guess we need the 20's and 60's next.  Smiley  Smiley Seriously though, if you consider the Patent Agent route, if you haven't already, please read over the post in this same section, "Prospects as Patent Agent for Young Retired Engineer."  That is geared for the 50's, but the info is still apropos.  Obviously, the younger you are, the more options you have.  A lot has to do with the investment in $$ and time it takes to launch a new career, your personal situation and finances, and how close you are to retirement.  For example, if you need to shell out $$$ for law school on your own, but have kids that you are shelling out $$$ for their college bills and a mortgage, you may not be able to pull it off.  Or, for example, if you're mid-50's and plan to retire early-60's, spending ~5 yrs in law school and associate position to launch a new career isn't a good return.  But if you're early-40's or younger, it could be a good return.
IP Logged
ChrisWhewell

WWW Email

Re: too late?
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11th, 2006, 7:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Nov 10th, 2006, 5:57am, Bill Richards wrote:
At age 48, while working as an engineering manager at a major oil company, I studied for and passed both the EIT and PE exams.  At age 52, while still working full time, I entered law school and graduated, magna cum laude, at age 56.  (Passed patent bar that summer.)  After that, I spent two years as an associate in a large law firm, five as in-house counsel, and am now on my own as a solo.  Life is good!
Contact me off-list if you want more information.  My website gives some additional information, too.
Good luck!

Bill, that's a great story, and should be a great and inspiring example for others who are non-conventional in their approach to education/career to follow.  Thanks alot for sharing.

IP Logged

Chris Whewell, M.S.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »