The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 1st, 2023, 12:17am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Prospects as Patent Agent for Young Retired Engr?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Prospects as Patent Agent for Young Retired Engr?  (Read 2771 times)
skaatz

Prospects as Patent Agent for Young Retired Engr?
« on: Oct 21st, 2006, 10:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,

I'll be retiring soon, at age 54, after 20+ years in engineering. Is it worth passing the Patent Bar to seek work in IP?  I only need to supplement a pension, so low profile is OK.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
IP Logged
Wiscagent

Re: Prospects as Patent Agent for Young Retired En
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21st, 2006, 11:25am »

Do you already have significant patent-related experience? Are you an inventor, or do you have you provided support for patent prosecution or litigation?  If the answers are yes, then that may improve your chances of success.  

Do you know some patent agents or attorneys?  If you do, they might be helpful in terms of providing references (or if you are really lucky a job).

Do you have a track record of conducting literature searches, writing technical papers or reports or providing technical expertise or testimony in legal settings?  Again, those kinds of experience may help.

Unfortunately if you don’t have these kinds of credentials, your two decades of experience as an engineer probably aren’t worth much if you go looking for work as a patent agent.

Nevertheless, considering the small investment to become registered as a patent agent – perhaps 80 to 200 hours of studying, and a few hundred or thousand dollars – it may well be worthwhile.  As a patent agent you at least have the possibility of being considered for some jobs for which you otherwise would not be qualified.

Wishing you success in your semi-retirement,
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
LF

« Reply #2 on: Oct 23rd, 2006, 4:04am »

Richard is right on the money. More than experience in any particular engineering field, the Patent Agent job (assuming you do not want to go to law school), will come down to;

1. The writing,  
2. The USPTO rules for prosecuting a patent,
3. Your interpersonal skills.

Having said that, it is not a bad path to explore.

IP Logged
skaatz

« Reply #3 on: Oct 24th, 2006, 6:45pm »

Your comments echo those of a contact I made in our legal dept., and I think I have the temperament for the tasks you described.

I like technical writing and have been principal or co-author in several published papers.

Even with passing the Bar, seems very doable, with a little luck at getting a foot in the door somewhere!

Thanks much for the replies.
IP Logged
LF

« Reply #4 on: Oct 26th, 2006, 7:43am »

As has been pointed out in other postings within the forum (albeit not here), passing the USPTO exam legally entitles you to practice, but by no means does it mean you are ready to practice on your own. However, with some coaching/mentoring, and plenty of plagiarism, you certainly will be ahead of many others.  

As Bill (and my other fellow pilots in the forum understand), you are a pilot, but certainly not ready to fly the 747 with 300 paying passengers to London tonight. It's just that the USPTO does not have the gradings that the FAA has, to distinguish acquired experience.  

Since I live in the "Live Free or Die state", (where on a clear day we can see what the anarchysts meant), I like it like that. I'm sure that many Californians in the crowd would like to have seven layers of government bureaucrats "help" us.

Good luck to you,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »