The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 29th, 2020, 3:39am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   general patent bar exam info
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: general patent bar exam info  (Read 1185 times)
general patent bar exam info
« on: Oct 18th, 2006, 7:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Can someone provide me with basic info. on the exam:

When is it offered?

Can it be taken online?

Once passed, does one need to take it again within a certain time span?

Thanks in advance... CF
IP Logged
smgsmc

Re: general patent bar exam info
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20th, 2006, 7:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 18th, 2006, 7:42pm, guest wrote:
Can someone provide me with basic info. on the exam:

When is it offered?

Can it be taken online?

Once passed, does one need to take it again within a certain time span?

Thanks in advance... CF

Hi.  Note that there is a separate Forum on Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer.  But there's a lot of info to navigate, here's a brief summary:

(1) There's a paper exam administered once a year in Alexandria, VA.  Not sure why anyone would go this route.

(2) Alternatively, you can take an electronic exam at a Thomson Prometrics test center.  It is offerred year round .  Hours of operation may vary with the site.  But many are open Mon - Sat, with multiple seatings per day. So scheduling an exam should not be a big deal as long as there is one located close to you.

(3)  I assume there's a typo in question (3).  You want to know what happens if you *don't* pass.  There are two intervals:  (1) You can't take the test again until 30 days after you flunked the first test.  This isn't usually a problem because you probably need the time to study.  The only exception is when you want to repeat the test before a cutoff date for the next revision (which just happened yesterday on Oct 19).  (2) If you reapply within 1 yr of your original application, basically you send in another aplication form and more $$ and you're ready to rip.  If you wait more than 1 yr, it's treated as a new application...you need to resubmit your transcripts and any other paperwork to establish your qualifications to take the exam.
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #2 on: Oct 20th, 2006, 7:29am »

on Oct 20th, 2006, 7:08am, smgsmc wrote:
(3)  I assume there's a typo in question (3).  You want to know what happens if you *don't* pass.

I think what's being asked is if there is a recertification exam given at some period.  The answer to that question is no.   The USPTO has made some proposals for recertifying practitioners and even to charge an annual fee to support recertification activities, but the proposals have been fairly unpopular and the PTO has not implemented anything so far. 

IP Logged

Isaac
forest

« Reply #3 on: Oct 20th, 2006, 11:14am »

Thanks to both of you... I was asking about re-certification once passed, but the info about what happens if you don't is also very helpful!

« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2007, 6:52am by forest » IP Logged

"Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it." ~Albert Einstein
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »