The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 11th, 2019, 2:35pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   FUTURE PLANS
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: FUTURE PLANS  (Read 958 times)
ivorywhisper

FUTURE PLANS
« on: Oct 16th, 2006, 10:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

First of all i would like to say a big thank you to a lot of you who spend time answering questions!

I have some plans for my future right now and i guess id like to know what some of you think.

I have one more semester left to get my bachelor's in chemistry.

My plan is to get a job and get my master's in chem right away.

Work a few years in the chem field, and also study to become a patent agent, then move on to work as an agent at a firm and going to law school at night.

Im hoping to start my career as a patent attorney with a few years industry experience and few years experience in a firm.  

A few questions that i have:

a. is it worth it to get  a master's and industry experience or should i just go straight to passing the patent bar and becoming an agent, then going to law school?

b. what kind of salary are we talking about when it's all said and done? (im in texas)

c. How likely is it to find work in a firm as an agent that's willing to pay for law school? Is this common or not?

Any other insights and suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!
IP Logged
Bill Richards

WWW Email

Re: FUTURE PLANS
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17th, 2006, 9:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Go for the MS and experience.  Not only will it enhance your technical expertise, it will give you some practical experience that I have always found invaluable.
If you go for the patent agent, be sure you can start using it right away.  If you wait too long, you'll lose most of it.  (In the long run, unless you use it, you'll lose most of it anyway, but that's another story.)
Salaries vary widely and will depend upon whether you're an agent or attorney.  Very rough guess - $100,000 plus.
Not uncommon to be an agent and go to law school.  It depends upon the firm.
IP Logged

William B. Richards, P.E.
The Richards Law Firm
Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights
614/939-1488
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »