The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 3rd, 2020, 4:22am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Patent Agent   Salary Surveys
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Patent Agent   Salary Surveys  (Read 7301 times)
ChrisWhewell

WWW Email

Re: Patent Agent   Salary Surveys
« Reply #5 on: Oct 14th, 2006, 11:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 13th, 2006, 2:38pm, Tricia Liu wrote:
I happen to be doing some research on becoming a patent agent. I read from multiple sources saying that in the coastal areas, patent agents command $150/hour, while patent lawyer do for $200-$300/hour.

But I do not know if it is easier to find a good job as a patent agent or patent paralegal? It is very easy for me to pass the bar exam as a patent agent due to my experience. However, if that means harder to find a job than being a senior paralegal, it's not worth the time.

Do you have any ideas?

Well, you asked for it.....   My thought is that you should consider doing what you are most happy with doing, paying less attention to the cash.   If you want to maximize dollars in your pocket, you might find that this is not what makes you happy.  I know more than a few who mistakenly believed that if they maxed out on the money that all their life worries, etc will vaporize or never materialize.   My credo has always been enjoyment of helping other people achieve their goals, to the best of my ability, and the money is a secondary effect of helping others.  Often, those who seek money as an end are not very happy, and it eventualy affects their physical health.   We're in for some tough times ahead here.
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2006, 11:07pm by ChrisWhewell » IP Logged

Chris Whewell, M.S.
DavidD

« Reply #6 on: Oct 31st, 2006, 4:59pm »

Hi everybody:

I just passed the bar exam and would like to do some research before making my next move (either get transferred to the IP department of my current employer or to go join a law firm).  I would need your help to gather information about the current salary range of patent agents with similar background.  My background: PhD in Molecular Biology, 4 years postdoctoral experience in medical research, plus seven years experience in a biotech company, currently in California.  Although I am co-inventor of two published patents as well as of at least a dozen of pending applications, but I have no real experience working as a patent agent.  
Can anyone provide information as to current, reliable salary range for Patent Agents employed either inside biotech firms and law firms?

Thanks in advance,
IP Logged
Wiscagent

« Reply #7 on: Oct 31st, 2006, 6:26pm »

“Can anyone provide information as to current, reliable salary range for Patent Agents employed either inside biotech firms and law firms?”

Sure, broad ranges - no problem.  Most patent agents employed either inside biotech firms or law firms earn from about $75,000 to about $150,000.

Unfortunately, better precision is difficult to achieve; and I haven’t seen such data.
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »