The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 11th, 2020, 2:51pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Patent Agent   Salary Surveys
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Patent Agent   Salary Surveys  (Read 7334 times)
CaryNC
Patent Agent   Salary Surveys
« on: Oct 12th, 2006, 2:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Can anyone provide information as to current, reliable salary survey information, including geographic, for Patent Agents employed inside private law firms?
IP Logged
Tricia Liu
Re: Patent Agent Salary Surveys
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13th, 2006, 2:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I happen to be doing some research on becoming a patent agent. I read from multiple sources saying that in the coastal areas, patent agents command $150/hour, while patent lawyer do for $200-$300/hour.

But I do not know if it is easier to find a good job as a patent agent or patent paralegal? It is very easy for me to pass the bar exam as a patent agent due to my experience. However, if that means harder to find a job than being a senior paralegal, it's not worth the time.

Do you have any ideas?
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #2 on: Oct 13th, 2006, 3:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 13th, 2006, 2:38pm, Tricia Liu wrote:
But I do not know if it is easier to find a good job as a patent agent or patent paralegal? It is very easy for me to pass the bar exam as a patent agent due to my experience. However, if that means harder to find a job than being a senior paralegal, it's not worth the time.

Do you have any ideas?

I'm not sure that the difference in difficulty in finding a job alone is the best criteria for making this decision.  If the exam is easy for you, then it can be said that for a few hundred dollars and a little elbow grease you qualify for a chance at a higher paying job without disqualifying yourself for a paralegal position.  Yes it is true that the chance might not pan out or that there can be some delay in when it might pan out.

One way of quantifying the decision would be to compare the cost to obtain a patent agent credential (your time plus a few hundred dollars) to your probability of landing a patent agent position multiplied by the possible increase in earnings (perhaps converted to a present value).

In your case the costs are small and the potential increase in salary appears to be significant (I don't know for sure but I'm guessing so), so that even a small chance in finding a job could justify the risk.

Example calc.  400 dollars to take the exam compared to a 5% chance of obtaining 10k more in salary?   Using my formula, the rational choice would be to take the exam.

We don't have enough information to actually make the calculation of course, but I think the theory does suggest the correct way of making the decision.

IP Logged

Isaac
Wiscagent

« Reply #3 on: Oct 14th, 2006, 8:06am »

Tricia Liu wrote "... I read from multiple sources saying that in the coastal areas, patent agents command $150/hour, while patent lawyer do for $200-$300/hour."

$150/hr X 2000 hr/yr = $300,000/yr
$200/hr X 2000 hr/yr = $400,000/yr
$300/hr X 2000 hr/yr = $600,000/yr

Most patent attorneys and patent agents, whether coastal or inland, earn about one-third of these amounts.

Tricia - did you "read from multiple sources" and then just add up the amounts?
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
Isaac

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14th, 2006, 8:35am »

Maybe she was quoting billing rates rather than salaries.
IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »