The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 11th, 2019, 3:18pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Patent Lawyer Possible?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Patent Lawyer Possible?  (Read 792 times)
Patent Lawyer Possible?
« on: Oct 5th, 2006, 10:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am a patent examiner at the USPTO. I have a BSME from University of Texas @ Austin (don't know if that really matters). I would like to become a Patent Lawyer.

By the time I would actually become one, I would idealy have worked at the USPTO at least 8-10 years and some of those years be a Patent Agent.  

I was wondering if having a J.D and BSME would be good enough to get a GOOD job at a firm, and assuming I'm perfect at it become a partner. I know it really just depends on the firm, but I was just wondering.

Also what is the average salary of a patent lawyer at a private firm versus not private.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!
IP Logged
Mccalist

Re: Patent Lawyer Possible?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 5th, 2006, 10:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have BSME with top notch grades, a JD with good grades from a top tier school, state bar and patent bar, but no experience.  

I am having a tough time getting a job, but I believe it's only because I lack experience.  In your case you should have no problem, especially if you go to a top school and get good grades.

By the way, would you mind chiming in about how the bonus structure works for examiners at the PTO?

-Thanks and good luck
IP Logged
biopico

« Reply #2 on: Oct 5th, 2006, 10:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

UT-Austin is one of top schools in many areas. Many years of exp in USPTO and you want to become an IP lawyer.

As long as you get into a good law school and graduate with good GPAs, I don't see why you wouldn't get a terrific job since you have all the key elements qualified for it.

It was my opinion.
IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
Justin
« Reply #3 on: Oct 5th, 2006, 4:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

McCalist I think the problem is the ME degree.  It is not a good time for MEs right now.  I will graduate from a tier 1 law school and am not having a lot of luck with the job search either.  I do know that everyone of my friends with comp eng or electrical eng degrees have gotten offers.  

I fear I may have to return to eng school to get a BSEE Sad
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »