The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 13th, 2019, 11:28am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   PharmD/JD
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: PharmD/JD  (Read 9155 times)
Mai
PharmD/JD
« on: Oct 3rd, 2006, 1:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm finishing up my final year at pharmacy school right now, and I'm interested in going to law school some time in the future, do not know when.  My interest in law came in when I took a pharmacy law class, and that pretty much sparked a curiosity with what a PharmD/JD dual degree can offer in the legal and pharmaceutical world.

I've tried researching the topic and what pharmacist-attorneys do in their careers, but unfortunately the breed of PharmD/JD's are rare.  I've heard that PharmD/JD's will most likely deal with a lot patent law in the pharmaceutical and biotech field, but I would like to learn more on the details of that.

I know this is not a law admissions forum, but can someone please recommend to me a prominent law school that can help me utilize my pharmd and my jd to its full potential?  I know that it's best to get into the top tier schools, but which ones can accomodate a PharmD student better than others?

Overall, I would just like some input on the PharmD/JD career in general.  Is it high in demand?  Is it rewarding?  Someone had said in this forum that the patent prosecution bubble has burst, so what other specialties are available that may require the expertise of a PharmD/JD?
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: PharmD/JD
« Reply #1 on: Oct 3rd, 2006, 2:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 3rd, 2006, 1:49pm, Mai wrote:
I know this is not a law admissions forum, but can someone please recommend to me a prominent law school that can help me utilize my pharmd and my jd to its full potential? I know that it's best to get into the top tier schools, but which ones can accomodate a PharmD student better than others?

I cannot answer your questions specific to PharmD careers, but I don't think there's any reason that your technical speciality should figure into your choice of law school.
IP Logged

Isaac
Flower
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12th, 2006, 10:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Pham is not going to do anything for you.  There is nothing in a two year degree in passing out pills is going to help more than a B.S.
IP Logged
biopico

« Reply #3 on: Oct 12th, 2006, 11:25pm »

Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) is for three years.
IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
Anon

« Reply #4 on: Oct 13th, 2006, 9:34am »

on Oct 3rd, 2006, 1:49pm, Mai wrote:
Overall, I would just like some input on the PharmD/JD career in general.  Is it high in demand?  Is it rewarding?  Someone had said in this forum that the patent prosecution bubble has burst, so what other specialties are available that may require the expertise of a PharmD/JD?

The PharmD/JD is a good combo.  And as you suspect, you would be in well-prepared for prosecution work in the pharmaceutical and biotech fields.  Depending your interests and abilities, you might also consider patent litigation, especially patent litigation involving the Hatch-Waxman (generic drug) act.  And outside of patents, there is a whole area of FDA regulatory work that you might consider.

As for how much demand exists for your background, that's a little tough to say.   But in brief, I'd say that, although the demand for someone with your background is quite high, the supply probably slightly exceeds that demand.  And as the supply of those with your background is ever increasing, this situation likely will not improve.  So even though you would be well-qualified, my guess is that you will have a fair amount of competition for your first job.  But if you are sure that a career in law is what you want, then don't be deterred.  But just be sure...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »