The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 30th, 2020, 12:17pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Best way to get started
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Best way to get started  (Read 930 times)
trwoold

Best way to get started
« on: Sep 25th, 2006, 12:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am currently in what is hopefully my last year of graduate work for my PhD in Microbiology.  I am looking into careers using my science background in non-traditional ways.  Patent law was suggested to me and the more I investigate it, the better it looks.  I am confused as to the best route to take...  Is it better to try to find a technical advisor position and later go for the JD, or go straight to law school?  Go for the Patent Bar and become a Patent Agent, then go back for the JD?  How is a law clerk different?   I would like to get some experience first to get more of a feel for the field.  Opinions would be appreciated.
IP Logged
biopico

Re: Best way to get started
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25th, 2006, 1:12pm »

There are many ways to explore:

Here is my personal suggestion for you to pause and consider Roll Eyes:

As Ph.D in Microbiology, you can apply for a technical advisor (IP lawfirm and/or pharm companies, etc) and see whether your potential employer will be willing to pay for your tuition while attending an evening law school (e.g., Fordam law school in New York).  I have seen several people who completed their postdoc and are working for lawfirms while attending law school at night.

While exploring this route, you can still look for a postdoc positioin, which will help you even better if you try my suggestion a year or two later.  At the same time, you can begin to study the Patent Bar Exam.    

IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
trwoold

« Reply #2 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 12:48pm »

Thanks for the suggestions.  I am trying to avoid a Postdoc if possible.  I'd rather get started in the business as soon as possible.
IP Logged
biopico

« Reply #3 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 1:52pm »

If you pass the Patent Bar by the time you get your Ph.D. or around, it would be easier for you to get a tech advisor position.
IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »