The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 2nd, 2020, 7:45am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   MS in chemE looking to get into patent law
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: MS in chemE looking to get into patent law  (Read 994 times)
tan2380

MS in chemE looking to get into patent law
« on: Aug 26th, 2006, 6:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have a MS in chemE and was looking to get into patent law but was wondering what steps I need to take to pursue this further.  Would it be best to apply to USPTO to get experience first?  Are there any jobs for ChemE's as a patent attorney?  Huh
IP Logged
Bill Richards

WWW Email

Re: MS in chemE looking to get into patent law
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27th, 2006, 6:08pm »

I'm a BSChE (long time ago, but later career change to law).  I did not go that route, but I've always thought the PTO was a good way to go.  Others, Isaac, for example, who was an examiner, may have a better read.  I worked for a large general practice firm first, but that was in 1999 when demand was, I believe, a bit higher.
IP Logged

William B. Richards, P.E.
The Richards Law Firm
Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights
614/939-1488
Isaac

Re: MS in chemE looking to get into patent law
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28th, 2006, 6:47am »

on Aug 27th, 2006, 6:08pm, Bill Richards wrote:
I'm a BSChE (long time ago, but later career change to law).  I did not go that route, but I've always thought the PTO was a good way to go.  Others, Isaac, for example, who was an examiner, may have a better read.  I worked for a large general practice firm first, but that was in 1999 when demand was, I believe, a bit higher.

There's no doubt in my mind that working for a firm is a better career choice than is starting out at the USPTO.  However, I believe that for at least the year or two, you can learn every bit as much about patent law by working at the PTO as you will by doing prosecution only at a firm.  Further my career prospects which seemed to be unattractivley dim slowly after law school brightened markedly after my time at the PTO.

IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »