The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2020, 7:30am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Way to get into patent law after graduating?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Way to get into patent law after graduating?  (Read 2022 times)
IPNewbie

Email

Re: Way to get into patent law after graduating?
« Reply #10 on: Aug 16th, 2006, 12:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

So, you want to get into patent law, but you will only do patent prosecution, and you won't work for the PTO?

Well, start with this:  do you have a science degree?  Have you taken the patent bar?

If you have identified a "target market", I don't think that just "shooting off" random emails is going to get you anywhere.  Send a resume and cover letter and ask for an informational interview (better yet, put in the letter that you will call on "x" date about arranging an informational interview).  

As for networking, do you have friends?  That's all a network is.  I'm currently job searching, and all I have done, pretty much, is ask my lawyer friends who they know who might be interested in talking with me.  Then I can put in my cover letter that "x suggested that I write to you."  I'm finding that it opens a lot of doors.

And, the networking thing goes back to the "business" of law.  If you want to be a successful lawyer, as someone has already pointed out, you are going to have to bring in clients.  Guess how you do it?
IP Logged
bozo
« Reply #11 on: Aug 16th, 2006, 12:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Yeah, so I suck. But you didn't address my question above re if you were referring to lit/pros boutiques.

Maybe I'm completely crazy (not uncommon for law students!)? If you're intested in doling out advice, here's my situation: undergrad liberal arts major/physics minor. attend lower-ranked law school on roughly 2/3 academic scholarship. grades not terrible, not good. have been taking EE classes while in law school and have essentially all the math, physics, and EE that a BSEE has (not that it's necessarily worth anything to anyone). Contemplating applying to MSEE programs and completing one commensurate with my JD. It would likely be a unprestigious school in TX (which is where I want to practice; my law school is in a state adjacent to TX).

As far as PTO and patent lit, sure, I'd give them each a shot, but it looks like my background is pointing me in the prosecution direction. I think.

As for networking, yes, I've tried what you recommend. Attorneys usually seem almost indigant over "X said I should call you." Usually I just email asking for advice, not job interviews; the advice I HAVE gotten was pretty bad. And, in my opinion, none of the strategies mentioned is going to make much difference to a law firm recruiting director (just my opinion).

I feel like I'm about *this close* to not showing up to class this Monday. Anyone else wish they had applied to med school? I just want a career where I can make a little dough, enjoy what I do, and feel secure in my job. More and more, it looks like this law thing is not realistic for me. Should I seriously consider getting out? All told, I'm about 30K in debt.

I really appreciate whatever comments/advice/insults you have to offer.
IP Logged
IPNewbie

Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 16th, 2006, 2:13pm »

I'm not trying to be insulting, Bozo, I'm just trying to understand your situation.

Okay.  You have the classes necessary (probably) to take the patent bar under Part B (Part A doesn't apply b/c you don't actually have a degree).  EE is pretty hot right now, from what I understand, so it's good that that is your field.

I think it's fine if you want to be a patent prosecutor as opposed to a litigator--different strokes and all that.  It just sounded to me like you wouldn't even consider a firm that *does* patent litigation.  You may know better than me (there is only one patent firm in my city), but it's not my impression that a patent boutique is either prosecution or litigation--usually it's a bit of both.  The boutique I've applied to does both, plus a fair amount of trademark.

I don't think you need to get an MSEE.  You'd probably be better off taking the patent bar if you can do so without your grades suffering.  That's a big qualification right there.  And, firms love it when you have experience, which is why I suggest you do a stint at the PTO if you can.

As for your approach to lawyers/firms in your target areas, have you been working with your career services office?  If not, they may be able to help you fine-tune your approach.
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2006, 2:15pm by IPNewbie » IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #13 on: Aug 16th, 2006, 2:51pm »

on Aug 16th, 2006, 12:57pm, bozo wrote:
As far as PTO and patent lit, sure, I'd give them each a shot, but it looks like my background is pointing me in the prosecution direction. I think.

Why do you think your background points towards prosecution?   You may have enough course work to qualify to take the patent bar under category B but your major is non-technical.  Other than some old school math majors from back in the day before computer science degrees were widely offered, your background is decidely atypical for an attorney doing patent prosecution.   Do you have some relevant work experience?

Quote:
Attorneys usually seem almost indigant over "X said I should call you." Usually I just email asking for advice, not job interviews; the advice I HAVE gotten was pretty bad.

I've been cold called on occasion.  I'm not all that helpful with regards to getting you a job interview, but other than possibly asking you to call back a little later because I'm in the middle of something, I would not be inclinded to put anyone off.   Try calling some fellow alumni.

Quote:
I feel like I'm about *this close* to not showing up to class this Monday. Anyone else wish they had applied to med school?

That has been fairly evident in every one of your posts.   You seem to be trying to confirm that you have no chance to succeed at patent law.   There are some obstacles in your path, some of which are self created.  You may have to take some steps that those Boalt grads don't need to take in order to land that first job.

IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »