The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 30th, 2020, 3:03am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Way to get into patent law after graduating?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Way to get into patent law after graduating?  (Read 1980 times)
bozo
Way to get into patent law after graduating?
« on: Aug 13th, 2006, 7:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

So, if I graduate from law school with no patent job, how can I ever get into patent law?

Working for PTO is not an option. Changing practice groups inside a firm is not an option. I'm talking about up and moving to a different city and "starting over." I've noticed that most law firms hire nearly exclusively from their 2L summer associates. As someone in another thread mentioned, 2L summer gigs are for 2Ls, not graduates. So it seems graduates are screwed...

Is it safe to say that getting into patent law after graduating with no job is extremely unlikely?
IP Logged
Re: Way to get into patent law after graduating?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14th, 2006, 7:11am »

<< Working for PTO is not an option. >>

Why is working for the PTO "not an option"?
IP Logged
Never been to
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14th, 2006, 8:44am »

I'm assuming you have an engineering degree...

"Is it safe to say that getting into patent law after graduating with no job is extremely unlikely?"

Not at all.  With due respect, you don't understand the business.

There are several "huge" law firms--Jones Day, Fulbright, Fish & Richardson, etc.  Those firms have a pretty rigorous approach to hiring lawyers.  

Corporation want to hire lawyers with 2-3 years of experience.

BUT:  There are many, many smaller boutique IP firms, especially in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Dallas.  They don't have a budget for internships, so they hire people right out of school.  They also don't advertise their jobs as much.  So, you might have to look at some trade publications (IPLaw or the Journal of Patent Law) for their advertisements.

In many ways, working for a boutique is preferable to working for a large law firm.  They are much more flexible and generally are more fun.
IP Logged
bozo
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14th, 2006, 9:54am »

No, I really don't understand the business. In some ways, it's disgusting to me.

Do all these boutiques even have websites? For example, when I peruse nalp, I only seem to get the huge megacorporations. Their salaries are attractive, as are their clientelle, and I wouldn't mind the law hours. I guess I really don't have a shot because my law school/grades are unimpressive (even though, looking at their attorney profiles, it seems some "bottom feeders" sneak in anway--connections?).

So, for the boutiques, is it appropriate to "mass mail" them? I am told they generally do their hiring late in the year, Novemberish? These are the firms which care less about law school reputation and grades? How do they pay vis a vis (always wanted to use that expression!) the big megafirms?

Thanks for your input.
IP Logged
never been to
« Reply #4 on: Aug 14th, 2006, 10:18am »

If you are disgusted by the business (and the practice of law is a business), then perhaps you had better find a different line of work.

Everyone cares about law school grades and reputation.  It is simply that it doesn't matter as much in a boutique.

There are lots of people at smaller law firms that went to obscure law schools or who weren't Order of the Coif.  So, they tend to be more flexible about the grades.

I wouldn't mass mail.  Find some firms near where you want to live, and then read up on them--what is their practice, who are their clients, etc.

You probably will make 20% less at a boutique as opposed to the megafirms.  But, you probably will have more free time  to enjoy what you make.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »