The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2020, 6:32am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Period Between July and Novemeber
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Period Between July and Novemeber  (Read 1350 times)
Isaac

Re: Period Between July and Novemeber
« Reply #5 on: Jul 31st, 2006, 4:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jul 31st, 2006, 3:10pm, wallflower wrote:
 If they don't bring it up and send me a transcript after the interview, I get the impression that there is something hide.

Makes sense to me wally!

IP Logged

Isaac
Dr. V
« Reply #6 on: Jul 31st, 2006, 7:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Do grades reflect your ability to perform your job as a patent lawyer? I am not sure! I had seen many top exam crackers doing low quality work in big firms!  (by the way, I was one of those exam crackers!!).

Is there a "rational relation" between your grade in 3 hr final exam and patent lawyer tasks? Its just amazing that people (lawyers), without much thinking, ask questions on grades! Howabout his past performance of getting into Cornell's BSME progam! Does his fulltime software experience count?

I used to interview law students! I was looking for good attitude, presentability, totality of resume, track record of accomplishments (not just school grades), and interest in patent law!

IP Logged
hamea

« Reply #7 on: Aug 9th, 2006, 2:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thank you all for your responses.  Just to clarify, I was referring to applying for Summer Associate positions during law school, not after graduation.  

I agree with everyone with regard to being upfront about grades (I have never hidden my bad grades - just tried not to draw attention to something negative during the interview).  However, one of the partners during my second round of interviews flat out told me that he wouldn't have even called me for a first round had he seen my transcript ahead of time.  I used that opportunity to explain the circumstances and he seemed convinced at the time. But the end result was a rejection three days later.  It makes sense too, because if there is another person who does NOT have the problem of bad 2nd year grades, then why would they hire me over him.

Going forward though, I will send my transcripts with the initial submission but include my 'defense' in the cover letter itself.

But as Dr. V stated, doesnt my professional background, Cornell education, passing the patent bar and going to law school while working full-time count for anything?  Is there a way to get feedback from the people you interview with to see why you were rejected?  That will at least help the candidates figure out if its their interview skills that need work or their credentials.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »