The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 2nd, 2020, 8:31am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   JD/MBA
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: JD/MBA  (Read 1151 times)
Marko
JD/MBA
« on: Jul 15th, 2006, 9:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi all.  I would appreciate any and all feedback on the benefits/pitfalls of having BOTH an MBA and JD.  For what types of IP jobs does this combo make you more attractive?  Are the benefits of the dual degree mainly realized outside of the IP world?   My initial thoughts are the MBA will help 10+ years post graduation if I were to work in a corporate environment.  

Me: I have a BSME, 50% done with MBA, starting law school next fall, 5 years engineering work experience.  

Thanks in advance.
IP Logged
Scott White
Re: JD/MBA
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14th, 2006, 10:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

You're exactly right about the value of an MBA. I have a BSChemE degree and I will graduate with a JD/MBA in December (I completed the program in 3.5 years by taking extra credits). I have job offers at major IP firms, but not b/c of the JD/MBA. I received these offers as a result of going to a good school, getting good grades and doing good summer work. Jobs are especially plentiful at IP firms these days for people with your background--you will be golden for anything you want to do in IP. That being said, most attorneys tell me that clients will appreciate the fact that I have an MBA b/c they will feel that I understand their business better. Will that be worth the extra time and expense required for the MBA? I'll let you know in ten years.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »