The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 24th, 2020, 11:19pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Career Change - Patent Bar Worthwhile?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Career Change - Patent Bar Worthwhile?  (Read 1847 times)
Bill Richards

WWW Email

Re: Career Change - Patent Bar Worthwhile?
« Reply #5 on: Jul 2nd, 2006, 8:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I decided to attend law school as a [late] second career.  I wasn't sure what area I want to practice in, but took the patent bar because I had a summer off near the end of my law school.  It turned out to be the best move I've ever made in this area.  It opened up all kinds of opportunities I would not have had at "my age".  But, it's got to be something you like, or it's not worth it.  I also think the patent bar and some prosecution experience help in lititation.  Reverse holds true, also.
IP Logged

William B. Richards, P.E.
The Richards Law Firm
Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights
614/939-1488
TataBoxInhibitor

Re: Career Change - Patent Bar Worthwhile?
« Reply #6 on: Jul 5th, 2006, 5:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jun 10th, 2006, 1:27pm, M.Duffy wrote:
I have a general question about taking the patent bar post law school that I hope someone ‘out there’ can shed some light on.
First, my background: MS in Biology with 2 years post undergraduate experience working in microbiology. Graduated from law school in 2002 (LS is ranked in the 20-30 range according to US News). Currently working for the Federal Government as an appellate attorney before an Article I court.  Recently I’ve been thinking about taking the patent bar.
Considering I’ve been out of law school for almost 4 years and haven’t been practicing patent law – would taking the patent bar at this point be useless in helping me get a patent law position in the private sector?

Thanks in advance.

If you get a kick out of innovation, you will think it is pretty exciting.  It can be quite challenging learning a new art and trying to protect it, of course there are some limits to that.  On the other side, being presented with variations on the same theme may get somewhat tedious.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »