The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 8th, 2019, 3:11am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Career Change - Patent Bar Worthwhile?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Career Change - Patent Bar Worthwhile?  (Read 1828 times)
M.Duffy
Career Change - Patent Bar Worthwhile?
« on: Jun 10th, 2006, 1:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have a general question about taking the patent bar post law school that I hope someone ‘out there’ can shed some light on.
First, my background: MS in Biology with 2 years post undergraduate experience working in microbiology. Graduated from law school in 2002 (LS is ranked in the 20-30 range according to US News). Currently working for the Federal Government as an appellate attorney before an Article I court.  Recently I’ve been thinking about taking the patent bar.
Considering I’ve been out of law school for almost 4 years and haven’t been practicing patent law – would taking the patent bar at this point be useless in helping me get a patent law position in the private sector?

Thanks in advance.
IP Logged
RMissimer

Email

Re: Career Change - Patent Bar Worthwhile?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12th, 2006, 4:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The patent bar content has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the material you learned in IP classes.  These are the rules and regulations related to contact with the USPTO.  In the exam I took there were no claims drafted, no amendments, or the like.

Take a review class/seminar a pick up the registration.  If you don't like doing that kind of work (once you get started),  then don't take on any more.  Registration itself doesn't cost anything (as a reoccurring cost).  So, what the heck.
IP Logged

RS Missimer
Patents Penned, Inc.
PO Box 486
Butler, WI 53007-0486
(262) 565-8200
Brendan
« Reply #2 on: Jun 30th, 2006, 11:23am »

Can anyone else elaborate on this post?

I recently graduated from law school, passed the PA bar but the market is horrific out here.

I have a BS in biochem undergrad from pitt.  I am interested in doing patent law in the bio/chem fields and i am also interested in, hopefully, more job opportunities that might come with passing the patent bar.  

would this be the case?  i would be willing to relocate, is it worth my time to take the patent bar at this point?  I dont want to spend the money on the course and take the time to study only to be in the same boat that i am in now, having a hard time finding a job.
IP Logged
Brendan
« Reply #3 on: Jun 30th, 2006, 11:24am »

Can anyone else elaborate on this post?

I recently graduated from law school, passed the PA bar but the market is horrific out here.

I have a BS in biochem undergrad from pitt.  I am interested in doing patent law in the bio/chem fields and i am also interested in, hopefully, more job opportunities that might come with passing the patent bar.  

would this be the case?  i would be willing to relocate, is it worth my time to take the patent bar at this point?  I dont want to spend the money on the course and take the time to study only to be in the same boat that i am in now, having a hard time finding a job.
IP Logged
« Reply #4 on: Jun 30th, 2006, 2:42pm »

<< I have a BS in biochem undergrad from pitt.  I am interested in doing patent law in the bio/chem fields and i am also interested in, hopefully, more job opportunities that might come with passing the patent bar. >>

The patent bar is only really useful and necessary if you want to do patent prosecution.  If you're interested in patent litigation, then a technical background would help (though not necessary) and the patent bar wouldn't hurt (though, again, not necessary).  The patent market really isn't that "hot" right now unless you have an EE or CS background.  Otherwise, more and more firms are showing a strong preference for patent types with "advanced degrees" (i.e. MS or PhD) for their prosecution business.  You might consider applying to the PTO as a patent examiner.  I've heard that a couple year's worth of experience there can open some doors.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »