The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 6th, 2019, 9:09pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Law firm vs Technology Firm
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Law firm vs Technology Firm  (Read 912 times)
waterville

Law firm vs Technology Firm
« on: May 18th, 2006, 10:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello, I am a novice patent engineer of age 27 preparing to enter the patent field.  I will be relocating to Japan and now face with a choice to choose either working in Law firm vs Technology firm.  I would like to get your opinion the Pros and Cons of working between the two.

Thanks

IP Logged
Anon
Re: Law firm vs Technology Firm
« Reply #1 on: May 19th, 2006, 4:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on May 18th, 2006, 10:17pm, waterville wrote:
I will be... either working in Law firm vs Technology firm.

I'll bite....

What's a technology firm?
IP Logged
xyz

« Reply #2 on: May 31st, 2006, 12:42am »

I think technology firm means a R&D institute/company which have its own IP cell to innovate his technology
IP Logged

xyz
Bill Richards

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: May 31st, 2006, 4:53am »

If xyz is correct, it sounds like the typical law firm - in-house counsel debate that many consider.  I, myself, have done both and know many that have.  And . . . it depends.  In a law firm, you will probably be exposed to a wider selection of technologies and probably more patent-related experiences.  For example, depending upon the firm and the company, the firm could offer opportunities for patent appeals, intereferences (not in JP?), and, most importantly, litigation.  My experience with companies is that they so seldom see these types of situations, even if they do in-house prosecution, they'll farm the project to outside counsel (the law firm).  Depending upon the company, you may be limited to only a selected area of technology.  Is that OK for you?
Many that I know have started at a firm and then gone in-house.  If you're interested in doing the in-house, this may be the way to go anyway, since many companies look for experienced practitioners.
Another thing is mentoring.  You may get great mentoring at a law firm and poor mentoring at the comapny.  It depends upon the firm and the company.
Having said all that, the law firm may be a faster paced, higher stress level environment.  Most in-house positions are generally less so.  Bottom line here is, What is the "corporate culture" at each?  You have to find one that fits your personality and work style.
Don't overlook the money issue, either.  In general, law firms pay more than in-house counsel positions.  But, the workload may be much higher.
Hope this helps.
IP Logged

William B. Richards, P.E.
The Richards Law Firm
Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights
614/939-1488
waterville

« Reply #4 on: May 31st, 2006, 8:55am »

For me at this moment of time where I will begin my career in the patent field, I think working in a R&D firm as a in-house legal member maybe a better suit for my situation due to the fact that I can get more hands on knowledge of how an invention evolves from the inception of an idea.  I get to work with the inventors hence allowing me to get to understand their logical and creative side of thinking.
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2006, 9:05am by waterville » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »