The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 4th, 2020, 9:13am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Lowball
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Lowball  (Read 1901 times)
Bill Richards

WWW Email

Lowball
« on: May 1st, 2006, 7:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have six-plus years of experience (prep and pros, plus some litigation in law firm and in-house) and just began a solo practice. A company contacted me recently about doing prep and pros for them. In their engagement letter, they propose a very low hourly rate (IMHO) and a low cap on prosecution (amounts to about 40 hours). I'd like to have the work, but have an idea my time is better spent developing clients that have a realistic value of my services.
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2006, 7:06am by Bill Richards » IP Logged

William B. Richards, P.E.
The Richards Law Firm
Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights
614/939-1488
Jonathan

Re: Lowball
« Reply #1 on: May 1st, 2006, 9:51am »

What's your question?
IP Logged
« Reply #2 on: May 4th, 2006, 9:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Take the work and when something better comes along quit and take that.

You'll be gaining experience and money while your working.  Moreover, they might give you more money after you work for them a while.
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #3 on: May 5th, 2006, 2:07am »

If the rates being offered are low enough that you don't want to take the work, you might as well make a counter offer.   You might consider some limit to what prosecution you'll do in 40 hours.    

You might want to get some handle on how much work you are being offered.

Good luck with your new business.
IP Logged

Isaac
« Reply #4 on: May 6th, 2006, 8:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The catch with the counter-offer (which is also a good idea) is that they may be trying to evaluate your work inexpensively.

Put yourself in their position, they don't want to pay the full price for a patent which isn't any good.  For all they know the partner (or if you were a partner, the associate under you) at your last job did all the work.  By lowballing you they can get an indication of what you're capable of w/o having to spend a lot of money.  

So, if you have the time, consider taking some of the work and then renegotiating the price after you've done an application or two.  If they continue to try and lowball you then get rid of them politely and professionally.  E.g., due to a change in circumstances (whatever you can think of) your billable hour rate has changed and someone who is less expensive could devote more time to their work.  

Anyway, it's a judgement call whether to counter-offer or do some work and then counter-offer.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »