The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 1st, 2020, 4:58am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Software for patent drawings
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Software for patent drawings  (Read 2493 times)
greenfield

Software for patent drawings
« on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 6:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am a newly minted patent agent.  I would like to purchase a good (but hopefully not too expensive) CAD software for creating patent application drawings.  I was wondering if anyone knows and can recommend such a program.
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: Software for patent drawings
« Reply #1 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 6:18am »

When I was doing patent work as a solo, I considered using autocad and spent some time figuring out how to use it.   The learning curve for using CAD programs is fairly steep.    

I think there are one or two free clones of autocad out there whose names I don't recall.   I think it a search for free autocad clone will turn up something.

You might want to consider whether it makes sense ecomonically to do your own drawings.   For simple drawings like flowcharts and block diagrams, programs like word and photoshop seem to work well enough.   For complex mechanical drawings, it might make more sense to contract the drawings out.
IP Logged

Isaac
TataBoxInhibitor

« Reply #2 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 7:34pm »

I have been using PowerCADD.   It works really well.   I do not think it takes as long to learn as autoCADD.   I think that the program you use really depends on the type of drawings you are aiming to do.   I have used AutoDesk, CADintosh, SketchUp, AutoCADD and I modify things with Adobe Photoshop.  

AutoDesk is great for simple mechanical drawings, as is PowerCADD.  Sketchup is great for a 3-d rotational option.   I also think that PowerCADD has a nice selection of hatches.   I agree with Isaac, that if things get too complex, you should probably farm out.   However, I feel after a couple days of drafting claims, its nice to switch over and play around with the drawings.
IP Logged
greenfield

« Reply #3 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 9:27pm »

Thank you for your suggestions.  I have downloded several programs for 30 day free trial periods, and it became apparent that no one program is versitile enough to do it all so I am almost resigned to have to get two maybe three types of software.  I would like to  have sufficient capability to cover a wide variety of drawings but if it does get too complex I'll go the route of farming out as a backup.  This to me would be last resort as it introduces another degree of complexity in terms of finding someone who is good, meets deadlines and is not too expensive.  

How do you (TataBoxInhibitor) draw with AutoDesk, CADintosh, SketchUp or AutoCADD then modify with Photoshop?  Do you do it by exporting the drawing out?
IP Logged
TataBoxInhibitor

« Reply #4 on: Apr 5th, 2006, 7:23am »

Yes.   You can just export it out of PowerCADD in jpg format.   Pick it up with Photoshop and alter.   I really think you should pick up these two and work with them.  

What system are you working with?    Unfortunately, I do not think they have AutoDesk for Macs.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »