The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 1st, 2020, 5:35am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   getting hired by the USPTO
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: getting hired by the USPTO  (Read 3117 times)
class of 06
getting hired by the USPTO
« on: Mar 29th, 2006, 11:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Does anyone know how long it usually takes to get hired by the US patent and trademark office?  About how long after you reply should you expect to hear about an interview if you're going to get one?
Thanks all.
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: getting hired by the USPTO
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 11:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

There is no fixed time period.  My experience is that if you apply online and do nothing else, you might never hear anything.
IP Logged

Isaac
beentheredonethat
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 6:47pm »

It depends on what tech center you are trying to get into.  If you go through the USPTO HR and the JARS website, you're as good as forgotten.  
Most of the people I know who've gotten jobs there recently have done so by contacting the TC hiring coordinators directly and emailing  them their resumes.  Go to the PTO website and look up a TQAS or a couple of SPEs in the technology area where you want to work.  Call them and ask them who the hiring coordinator is for that TC.  They'll tell you.  Then send him or her an email with your resume attached.  If you are EE or Compu/EE, you'll probably get an offer within 5 minutes.  If you are ME, CE, or biotech, expect to hear back within a week or so.  It all depends on your background, credentials, and hiring needs.
Definitely go to the hiring coordiators directly.  They can't guarantee you a position, but the hiring coordinators know which SPEs are looking for new blood and the SPEs will do the interviewing and "recommend" you to HR for hiring.  
Good luck.
IP Logged
TimmyT
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 8:00pm »

I just graduated w/ an EE and am currently in law school.

I would be interested in working there for the summer, do you think they would hire me, or would they only go for the "non-paid internship position" they talk about on the website?

Should I contact a TC hiring coordinator directly (e-mail/phone)?
IP Logged
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 8:17pm »

on Mar 29th, 2006, 8:00pm, TimmyT wrote:
I just graduated w/ an EE and am currently in law school.

I would be interested in working there for the summer, do you think they would hire me, or would they only go for the "non-paid internship position" they talk about on the website?

Should I contact a TC hiring coordinator directly (e-mail/phone)?

The training for TC2100 (where you would work with an EE) is 8 months long. They wouldn't be interested in someone for a summer just taking space in their training, imo.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »