The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 8th, 2019, 3:42am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Become a Patent Attny or Agent?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Become a Patent Attny or Agent?  (Read 1146 times)
Rising
Become a Patent Attny or Agent?
« on: Feb 5th, 2006, 10:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

This list has been very informative, and I hope that you guys will have some good advice for me, too.

For the last 5 years I have been working as a Japanese to English patent translator, most of that time spent in Japan. I'm living in the US now and taking courses at a local university so that I may become eligible to sit for the patent bar. I am also contemplating going to law school.

My ideal practice would be translating Japanese patents for US filing and then doing all the patent prosecution work myself. I would like to work solo. I hope that my practice would be 50 to 70% translation and the rest patent prosecution (I don't want to do litigation).  

Do you guys think that having a JD would make me more marketable in securing work from US clients (and Japanese clients, too, I suppose). I know several patent practioners who are doing just what I want to do (living in Japan, though) and seem to be doing quite well. I can't help but think that putting in a few years now (for a JD) would pay off in the long run.  

As an aside, how marketable would I be to US law firms as a JD who has extensive experience in Japan and is fluent in written and spoken Japanese?

Looking forward to replies!
IP Logged
tohoku

Email

Re: Become a Patent Attny or Agent?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12th, 2006, 3:09am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, Glad to see you post.

I am now studying Biology for PhD at Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan. My career goal is to be a Biotech IP patent or agent in either Japan or US. I am now consering taking a LSAT and then apply for JD programs in US after I get my Phd degree here.

May I get in touch you? My MSN is: bioliwu@hotmail.com

Regards,
Leo
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »